Mexico, Chiapas, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Mexico, Chiapas, Catholic Church Records, 1558-1978 .
Title in the Language of the Records
Registros Paroquiales de la Iglesia Católica del Estado de Chiapas, México.
This collection contains baptism, confirmation, marriage, marriage information and death records for the states of Chiapas and Huehuetenango in Mexico. The collection includes years 1558 to 1978.
For additional details about the history of these records and help using them, see the wiki article Mexico Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "Mexico, Chiapas, Catholic Church Records, 1558-1978." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Archivo Histórico Diocesano de San Cristobóbal de la Casas.
Digital images of original records housed at various Catholic Church parish archives throughout the state of Chiapas.
These baptismal records generally contain the following information:
- Date and place of baptism
- Name of child
- Child's birth date and place
- Names of parents
- Before 1820, social class of the parents
- Sometimes the child's race
These marriage records generally contain the following information:
- Name of the diocese
- Date and place of marriage
- Groom's name and age
- Groom's marital status and residence
- Names of groom's parents and their residence
- Bride's name and age
- Bride's marital status and residence
- Names of bride's parents and their residence
- Names of the witnesses and their residence
- Sometimes the legitimacy and race of the bride and groom
These burial or death records generally contain the following information:
- Name and age of deceased
- Date of death or burial
- Place of death or burial
- Sometimes name of spouse, if married
- Sometimes names of parents
- Origin or residence of deceased
- Sometimes race of the deceased
How to Use the Records
To search the collection, select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒ Select the Nombre del estado
⇒ Select the Nombre de ciudad/pueblo
⇒ Select the Nombre de parroquia
⇒ Select the Tipo de Registro y Años which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
“Mexico, Chiapas State, Catholic Church Records, 1558 - 1978,” images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org: accessed 22 May 2012), Chiapas > Las Rosas > Las Rosas > Bautismos 1965 - 1970 > Image 200 of 369, Obidio Garcia, baptized 29 April 1967; citing Diocese of Chiapas, now Archdiocese of Tuxtla Gutierrez, Registros Parroquiales, FHL 2,020 microfilm reels, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback