Mexico, Chihuahua, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
NOTE: Although these records are a great source of genealogical information, they are not complete as civil registration wasn't strictly enforced in Mexico until 1867 and people did not always comply. In addition, many records were burned during the Mexican Revolution time period of 1909 – 1920, especially in Chihuahua. For this reason, church registers must be used alongside the civil records. The civil records of Mexico have been preserved relatively well. Only some of the older registers may have some physical damage. However, in general, they are in good condition to extract genealogical information.
NOTE: For a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection or how to find missing images elsewhere, see Document 114052, How to use Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final browse point in Historical Records.
Question #1: The Event Type and Year Range (browse point) title does not properly reflect the actual digital record content. Is there a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection?
Answer #1: The following list of known browse point discrepancies describes the event type or year range that actually exist in this collection:
- Bachiniva > Nacimientos 1864 – 1930 records are out of order and is missing the years 1909, 1911-1913 which would have been around the time of the Mexican Revolution.
- Ciudad Guerrero > Nacimientos 1861-1886 should read as Nacimientos 1861- 1881, 1883-1886.
- Galeana > Nacimientos 1857-1932 should read as Nacimientos 1908-1932. The browse point contains a few birth records prior to 1908, and no records dated 1857. The index has these earlier records mixed in with 1908 and 1909, but they are not in chronological order.
- Riva Palacio > Defunciones 1862-1981 contains Matrimonios 1886-1889 imbedded in Images 266-353 (Film 1996219, Item 6).
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at email@example.com. Please include the following information:
- If browsing this collection: please include the full path you followed to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the Image viewer window.
For example: Mexico, Chihuahua Civil Registration, 1861-1997 > Bachiniva > Nacimientos 1864-1932 > Image 6 of 148.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Mexico, Chihuahua, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Mexico, Chihuahua, Civil Registration, 1861-1997 collection at FamilySearch.org.