Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records, 1543-1977 .
Title in the Language of the Records
México, Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica del estado de Yucatan.
This collection of Catholic Church records for the State of Yucatan covers the years 1543-1977.
For additional details about the history of these records and help using them, see the wiki article Mexico Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse.
Citation For This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- Archbishoprics and Dioceses in Yucatan. Mexico, Yucatan, Catholic church records. Catholic parishes in Yucatan.
Digital images of original records housed at various Catholic Church archive repositories throughout the State of Yucatan, Mexico.
Suggested citation format for a record in this collection.
Key genealogical information found in Catholic Church baptismal records include:
- Place and date of the baptism
- Given name
- Gender, place and date of birth or age at baptism
- If legitimate or illegitimate
- Parents names, sometimes their residence and/or place of birth
- Names of maternal grandparents
- Names of paternal grandparents
- Names of godparents
Key genealogical information found in Catholic Church marriage records include:
- Place and date of the marriage
- Name of the groom
- Age of groom, his place of birth and/or residence
- Name of the groom’s parents
- Name of the bride
- Age of bride, her place of birth and/or residence
- Names of the bride’s parents
- Sometimes, the parent’s place of origin and/or civil status
- Names of witnesses
Key genealogical information found in Catholic Church burial records include:
- Place and date of the burial
- Burial place
- Name of the principal
- Place and date of birth or age at time of death
- Cause of death
- Residence of the deceased
- Place of death
- Civil status of the principal, if married the name of the spouse may be given
- If principal left progeny
Key genealogical information found in Catholic Church confirmation records include:
- Date and place of confirmation
- Name of person being confirmed
- Parents’ or godparents’ names
How to Use The Records
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the Nombre de Ciudad/Pueblo
⇒ Select the Nombre de Parroquia
⇒ Select the Tipo de registro y años which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
“Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records, 1543-1977,” images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-18890-462-40?cc=1909116&wc=12853433: accessed 30 August, 2012), Ixil > San Bernabe > Bautismos 1955-1970 > image 400 of 414 images, Antonio Esparza Mendez, 1970; citing Parroquia de Ixil, Yucatan, Mexico.