Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Mexico, Yucatan Catholic Church Records .
Title in the Language of the Records
México, Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica del estado de Yucatan.
Collection Time Period
This collection of Catholic Church records for the State of Yucatan covers the years 1543-1970.
Usually separate registers were maintained for baptisms, marriages, and deaths. However, in localities with a small population the records of baptisms, marriages, and burials were recorded in the same register. Confirmations were usually recorded with the baptismal registers, but can also be found with deaths or marriages. Generally, entries were created in chronological order. Early registers may have some ecclesiastical documents written in Latin.
Record ContentImportant genealogical information found in Catholic Church baptismal records include:
- Place and date of the baptism
- Given name
- Gender, place and date of birth or age at baptism
- If legitimate or illegitimate
- Parents names, sometimes their residence and/or place of birth
- Names of maternal grandparents
- Names of paternal grandparents
- Names of godparents
- Place and date of the marriage
- Name of the groom
- Age of groom, his place of birth and/or residence
- Name of the groom’s parents
- Name of the bride
- Age of bride, her place of birth and/or residence
- Names of the bride’s parents
- Sometimes, the parent’s place of origin and/or civil status
- Names of witnesses
- Place and date of the burial
- Burial place
- Name of the principal
- Place and date of birth or age at time of death
- Cause of death
- Residence of the deceased
- Place of death
- Civil status of the principal, if married the name of the spouse may be given
- If principal left progeny
Important genealogical information found in Catholic Church confirmation records include:
- Date and place of confirmation
- Name of person being confirmed
- Parents’ or godparents’ names
How to Use These Records
The Catholic Church parish records are an excellent source for genealogical research in Mexico. These may also be the only records available for Spanish research before civil registration was implemented in 1871.
Catholic Church parish records cover 95 to 100% of a city’s population. This collection only includes the parish records that were centralized into the diocesan archive.
Why This Record Was Created
Mexican Catholic Church parish registers were created to record baptisms, confirmations, marriages, and burials occurring in the parish.
Catholic Church parish records are a reliable source for doing Mexican genealogical research.
This section of the article is incomplete. You can help FamilySearch Wiki by supplying links to related websites here.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should also list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the Wiki Article: Help:How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections.
Examples of Source Citations for a Record in This Collection
- “Delaware Marriage Records,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 4 March 2011), entry for William Anderson and Elizabeth Baynard Henry, married 23 November 1913; citing marriage certificate no. 859; FHL microfilm 2,025,063; Delaware Bureau of Archives and Records Management, Dover.
- “El Salvador Civil Registration,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 21 March 2011), entry for Jose Maria Antonio del Carmen, born 9 April 1880; citing La Libertad, San Juan Opico, Nacimientos 1879-1893, image 50; Ministerio Archivo Civil de la Alcaldia Municipal de San Salvador.
Citation For This Collection
The following refers to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. Iit may include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
"Mexico, Yucatan Catholic Church Records", database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org), 2009; Arquidiocese of Yucatan, Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. Registros parroquiales, 1543-1970. Original records are also housed in local parish archives throughout the State of Yucatan. FHL 2,435 microfilm reels. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
Digital images of original records housed at various Catholic Church archive repositories throughout the State of Yucatan, Mexico.
Infowmation about creating sourch citations for FamilySearch Historical Collections is listed in the wiki article Helo:How to Created Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback