Michigan NewspapersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Resources for Michigan Newspapers
A newspaper pool has been organized by the Library of Michigan, Detroit Public Library, and other institutions to gather and microfilm all known Michigan newspapers. These microfilms are available to public and university libraries that participate in interlibrary loan. A description of the state's newspapers is in the Fall-Winter, 1971–72, issue of Family Trails (see the "Periodicals" section).
Libraries and Archives
Newspapers in the Library of Michigan in Lansing are listed on their web site.
The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
Digital Issues Online
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of Michigan newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries under the name AccessNewspaperArchive.
- Link, Muriel. Obituaries Index, 1933–1948. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1976. (Family History Library films 1002031–44.) This index contains clippings from various Michigan newspapers.
- The Historical Records Survey (Michigan). Vital Records from the Detroit Free Press 1831–1868. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1973. (Family History Library films 927477–79.) (Worldcat)
- Marriage and death newspaper notices, Wayne County, Michigan, 1809-1868: newspaper notices from Michigan newspapers at the Michigan Historical Collections, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan, by Marguerite Novy Lambert & James Jackson.
Death and Marriage Items Abstracted from the Lansing State Republican 1861-1871 and Some Divorces and Name Changes Noted in the Michigan Territorial and State Laws, by Donald J. deZeeuw, Fern Lawhead deZeeuw and Ruth Whipple Kapphahn, Occasional Paper #9, Jan 1978.
Our Sunday Visitor : 100 Years of Religious Growth, 1853-1953 : Official Newspaper of the Diocese of Marquette, by J. William Gorski
Obituaries 2000 to 2009, the Citizen, Hamtramck, Michigan, compiled by J. William Gorski.
Is Your Ancestor Listed in Here? : an Index to Obituaries, Memoriams, and Cards of Thanks, Covering Much of the Northern Tier of Kent County with a Few from other Areas of Michigan, compiled and indexed by Betty L. Heiss.
- This page was last modified on 19 June 2015, at 19:11.
- This page has been accessed 5,234 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News