Middlesex County, Massachusetts GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- In 1997, the county governments of Middlesex, Berkshire, Essex, Hampden and Worcester were abolished.
- Their functions were turned over to state agencies.
- Sheriffs in these counties still administer jails but their employees are state employees.
- The legislation to abolish these county governments transferred Registeries of Deeds to the jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.
- Bristol, Dukes, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth and Suffolk county governments remain substantially unchanged.
The county was created by the Massachusetts General Court on May 10, 1643, when it was ordered "that the whole plantation within this jurisdiction be divided into four sheires". Middlesex initially contained Charlestown, Cambridge, Watertown, Sudbury, Concord, Woburn, Medford, and Reading.
5 April 1731: Worcester County was set off.
Places / Localities
Archives and Libraries
Refer to the cities and towns above for the cemeteries. There are no "rural" cemeteries in Massachusetts.
- please refers to cities and towns, too
Massachusetts1855State Census A free Internet index and images to the 1855 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Historical Records Search. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1855, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
Massachusetts1865State Census A free Internet index and images to the 1865 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Historical Records Search. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1865, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
Church History and Records
Refer to Cities and Towns for the church history and records. There are no "rural" churches in Massachusetts.
Military History and Records
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- The Middlesex County MAGenWeb Project, an member of The MAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Middlesex County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Middlesex County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Middlesex County
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].