Midmar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Established Church—Old Parochial Registers
|Record Type||Years Covered||FHL Film Number|
Condition of Original Registers—
Index: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index available on computers at the Family History Library and family history centers. The records may be indexed in the International Genealogical Index.
Births: The record prior to 1783, is a copy, which is continued to 1799. The original record, however, from 1783, is extant.
Marriages: Records are blank October 1726–December 1729, December 1777–December 1783, and May 1788–December 1799. There are only four entries December 1808–September 1816. Record up to December 1777, is a copy.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.
Established Church—Kirk Session Records
Minutes 1768–1801, 1837–1870
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/268.
Nonconformist Church Records
Midmar Associate Burgher Presbyterian Congregation
This congregation originated in an itineracy in the north by ministers of the Associate Burgher Synod in 1798. Several members of the congregation of Tough removed to the neighborhood about the same time and they, along with persons belonging to the Established Church, favorable to the cause, petitioned the Associate Presbytery of Perth for supply of sermon, which was granted the following year. They erected a place of worship for themselves on a sub–leased site in 1802. When the lease ran out, the proprietor would not renew it nor allow them to use their place of worship, so they were compelled to erect another at a great inconvenience to themselves and injury to their interests as a congregation. This they did in 1842. The chapel was located on the turnpike road between Skene and Alford. This congregation became United Presbyterian in 1847 and after 1900 was known as the Cluny East United Free Church of Scotland.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. Film #477618. More details are given in the source.
Session minutes 1798–1850, with accounts for the period and a list of members for 1803
Other post-1855 Records
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/370.
Midmar Bankhead Original Associate Congregation
This congregation was Original Secession. It may have been a part of the above congregation and broke away at some point (possibly 1805). They joined the Church of Scotland in 1839. In 1843, the minister and 92 members “came out” carrying church and manse with them. At the first vacancy a fruitless attempt was made to unite this charge with Lumphanan. At the next vacancy it was reduced to a preaching station; but four years later sanction was restored.
Membership: 1848, 110; 1900, 133.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details are given in the source.
FHL Film Number
Session Minutes 1831–1856, with gaps 1886230 item 4
Communion Roll 1821–1842 1886230 item 4
Return to Aberdeenshire parish list.