Milford, Connecticut

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(adding subheadings)
Line 1: Line 1:
Milford is a coastal city in southwestern [[New Haven County, Connecticut|New Haven County]], [[Connecticut]], [[United States]], located between [[Bridgeport, Connecticut|Bridgeport]] and [[New Haven, Connecticut|New Haven]].  
+
Milford is a coastal city in southwestern [[New Haven County, Connecticut|New Haven County]], [[Connecticut]], [[United States]], located between [[Bridgeport, Connecticut|Bridgeport]] and [[New Haven, Connecticut|New Haven]].
  
The land which today comprises Milford, Orange and [[West Haven, Connecticut|West Haven]], Connecticut was "purchased" on February 1, 1639 from Ansantawae, chief of the local Paugussets (an Algonquian tribe) by English settlers affiliated with the contemporary New Haven Colony. Originally, the area was known as "Wepawaug", after the small river which runs through the town, and which has given its name to several streets in both Milford and [[Orange, Connecticut|Orange]].  
+
== Brief History  ===
 +
 
 +
The land which today comprises Milford, Orange and [[West Haven, Connecticut|West Haven]], Connecticut was "purchased" on February 1, 1639 from Ansantawae, chief of the local Paugussets (an Algonquian tribe) by English settlers affiliated with the contemporary New Haven Colony. Originally, the area was known as "Wepawaug", after the small river which runs through the town, and which has given its name to several streets in both Milford and [[Orange, Connecticut|Orange]].
 +
 
 +
=== Historical Data  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Town Histories  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Vital Records  ===
  
 
== Principal communities of Milford  ==
 
== Principal communities of Milford  ==
Line 17: Line 25:
 
=== Probate Records  ===
 
=== Probate Records  ===
  
Milford Probate District covers Town of Milford. Constituted 22 May 1832 from [[New Haven, Connecticut|New Haven]].  
+
Milford Probate District covers Town of Milford. Constituted 22 May 1832 from [[New Haven, Connecticut|New Haven]].
 +
 
 +
=== City Directories  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Maps  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Cemeteries  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Churches  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Land Records  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Town Records  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Newspapers  ===
 +
 
 +
=== Libraries and Historical Societies  ===
 +
 
 +
=== References  ===
 +
 
 +
{{reflist}} '''Adjacent towns: '''''New Haven Co.''
  
 
{{CTNHa towns}}  
 
{{CTNHa towns}}  
  
 
[[Category:New_Haven_County,_Connecticut]] [[Category:Towns_in_Connecticut]]
 
[[Category:New_Haven_County,_Connecticut]] [[Category:Towns_in_Connecticut]]

Revision as of 19:44, 16 July 2013

Milford is a coastal city in southwestern New Haven County, Connecticut, United States, located between Bridgeport and New Haven.

Contents

Brief History =

The land which today comprises Milford, Orange and West Haven, Connecticut was "purchased" on February 1, 1639 from Ansantawae, chief of the local Paugussets (an Algonquian tribe) by English settlers affiliated with the contemporary New Haven Colony. Originally, the area was known as "Wepawaug", after the small river which runs through the town, and which has given its name to several streets in both Milford and Orange.

Historical Data

Town Histories

Vital Records

Principal communities of Milford

  • Milford center
  • Devon
  • Rivercliff
  • Morningside
  • Walnut Beach
  • Wildermere Beach
  • Woodmont borough

Other minor communities and geographic features are: Anchor Beach, Bayview, Bayview Heights, Burwells Beach, Cedar Beach, Ettadore Park, Far View Beach, Forest Heights, Fort Trumbull, Great River, Gulf Beach, Laurel Beach, Lexington Green, Merwin's Beach, Merwin's Point, Milford Lawns, Milford Point, Myrtle Beach, Naugatuck Gardens, Point Lookout, Pond Point Beach, Silver Beach, South of the Green, Wheelers Farms.

Probate Records

Milford Probate District covers Town of Milford. Constituted 22 May 1832 from New Haven.

City Directories

Maps

Cemeteries

Churches

Land Records

Town Records

Newspapers

Libraries and Historical Societies

References

Adjacent towns: New Haven Co.