Milford, ConnecticutEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Brief History =
The land which today comprises Milford, Orange and West Haven, Connecticut was "purchased" on February 1, 1639 from Ansantawae, chief of the local Paugussets (an Algonquian tribe) by English settlers affiliated with the contemporary New Haven Colony. Originally, the area was known as "Wepawaug", after the small river which runs through the town, and which has given its name to several streets in both Milford and Orange.
Principal communities of Milford
- Milford center
- Walnut Beach
- Wildermere Beach
- Woodmont borough
Other minor communities and geographic features are: Anchor Beach, Bayview, Bayview Heights, Burwells Beach, Cedar Beach, Ettadore Park, Far View Beach, Forest Heights, Fort Trumbull, Great River, Gulf Beach, Laurel Beach, Lexington Green, Merwin's Beach, Merwin's Point, Milford Lawns, Milford Point, Myrtle Beach, Naugatuck Gardens, Point Lookout, Pond Point Beach, Silver Beach, South of the Green, Wheelers Farms.
Milford Probate District covers Town of Milford. Constituted 22 May 1832 from New Haven.
Libraries and Historical Societies
ReferencesAdjacent towns: New Haven Co.: Orange | West Haven | New York, Fairfield Co.: Shelton | Stratford
- This page was last modified on 16 July 2013, at 19:52.
- This page has been accessed 572 times.