Minnesota PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most family history periodicals include copies of local sources of genealogical value. These may include genealogies, information about local records and archives, queries, census indexes, and transcripts of family Bibles, biographies, church records, court records, guardianships, naturalizations, deed abstracts, vital records, cemetery records, land records, military records, tax lists, mortality schedules, obituaries, and wills. Some genealogical periodicals and magazines for Minnesota research are:
- Dahlquist, Alfred J., ed. Minnesota Genealogical Journal, 1984–1987, 1992–. Published by Park Genealogical Book, P.O. 130968, Roseville, Minnesota 55113-0968. (Family History Library book 977.6 D25m.) This contains extracts of early Minnesota newspapers, original records, and maps from state and county sources.
- German Interest Group (series). [Newsletter] German Interest Group, a branch of the Minnesota Genealogical Society. 1980–1992. (Family History Library book 977.6 F25n.) In 1993 this society was renamed and started a new publication, Germanic Genealogy Society (series). [Newsletter] (Family History Library book 977.6 F25n.) This newsletter describes activities of the society, tips for research, sources of records, and case studies focused on German family research.
- Minnesota Genealogist. 1970–. Published by the Minnesota Genealogical Society, 5768 Olson Memorial Highway, Golden Valley, Minnesota 55422-5014. Telephone: 612-595-9347 (Family History Library book 977.6 B2mg.) Includes cumulative indexes to 1988, and extracts of records, search strategies, case studies, and issues of interest to researchers in Minnesota records.
- Minnesota History. 1915–. Published by the Minnesota Historical Society, 345 Kellogg Blvd. W., St. Paul, Minnesota 55102-1906. (Family History Library book 977.6 H25m.) There are three published indexes for this journal that are available from the Minnesota Historical Society: Volumes 1–10 (1915–1929); Volumes 11–40 (1930–1967); Volumes 41–50 (1968–1987). This journal contains articles on social, political, economic, intellectual, and cultural history of Minnesota and surrounding areas.
- Prairieland Pioneer. 1984–. Published by the Prairieland Genealogical Society, Southwest Minnesota Historical Center, Social Science 141, Marshall, Minnesota 56258-1598. Telephone: 507-537-7373. (Family History Library book 977.6 D25pp.) This journal contains extracts of records and helps for doing research in southwestern Minnesota. Under this same call number, there are two indexes: one for volumes1–5, and one for volumes 6–10.
- The Prairieland Register: Genealogical Records from Southwestern Minnesota. 1977–1983. Published by Prairieland Genealogical Society, 703 North Sixth Street, Marshall, Minnesota 56258. (Family History Library book 977.6 D25pr.) This journal contains extracts of records and helps for doing research in southwestern Minnesota.
- Scandinavian Saga: A Newsletter for Members of the Scandinavian-American Genealogical Society, A Branch of the Minnesota Historical Society. 1979–, P.O. Box 16069, St. Paul, Minnesota 55116-0069. The newsletter describes activities of the society and contributions Scandinavians have made to their communities.
Some of the periodicals listed above have annual surname indexes in the final issue for the year. For nationwide indexes to some of these and other family history periodicals, see United States Periodicals. Also see the following:
- Finnell, Arthur Louis. Minnesota Genealogical Periodical Index. A County Guide: Index to Periodicals through 1985. 1980. Reprint. St. Paul, Minnesota: Minnesota Genealogical Society, 1987. (Family History Library book 977.6 B22f 1985). An index of county records published in six Minnesota periodicals through 1985.
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). 31+ Volumes. Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1986-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per 1847–1985; fiche 6016863 [set of 40] (1847–1985); book 973 D25per (1986–1997); fiche 6016864 [set of 15] (1986–1990).) This indexes over 1.1 million articles in over 5,000 English-language and French Canadian family history periodicals. For further instructions, see the Periodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119). For easier-to-use and more complete electronic editions of the index, see:
- Periodical Source Index CD-ROM. Orem, Utah: Ancestry™, and the Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1997. (Family History Library compact disc no.61.) This disc does not circulate to Family History Centers. It merges all 31+ volumes into one index.
- Periodical Source Index Search. In Ancestry.com [Internet site]. [Orem, Utah]: Ancestry, 1999. Available at: www.ancestry.com/ancestry/search/3165.htm. This online database is available only to Ancestry.com members for a subscription fee.
For more family history periodicals, check the Family History Library Catalog Locality Search under:
MINNESOTA – PERIODICALS
MINNESOTA – GENEALOGY – PERIODICALS
MINNESOTA – SOCIETIES – PERIODICALS
MINNESOTA, [COUNTY] – PERIODICALS
MINNESOTA, [COUNTY] – GENEALOGY – PERIODICALS
MINNESOTA, [COUNTY] – SOCIETIES – PERIODICALS