MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about a southern state. For other uses, see Mississippi (disambiguation).
|News and Events|
|Did You Know?|
Welcome to Mississippi,
the Magnolia State
Most pre-statehood settlers of Mississippi came from the older Southern states along the Atlantic seaboard. Some came from New England and a few colonial French families settled in the Biloxi area. Most of the settlers, however, were of Ulster Scottish, English, and northern European ancestry. Blacks outnumbered whites in Mississippi from the middle of the nineteenth century until the middle of the twentieth. Most of the Indians were gone by the late 1830s, but there are still a few thousand Choctaws living in east central Mississippi.
- Mississippi Genealogy Research Community: Ask a question. Find answers, and share what you know.
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Mississippi GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- Access Genealogy: Mississippi Genealogy has a wealth of resources.
- BYU Mississippi Research Outline largely duplicates these Wiki pages. Includes some bibliographic lists from BYU Library, 2001.
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Mississippi Enumeration on Educable Children (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Mississippi Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Mississippi, Tippah County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here: