Monongalia County, West Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- Monongalia County
243 High Street #123
Morgantown, WV 26505
- County Clerk has bir and death records from 1853
- Marriage records from 1796
- Probate records from early 1800's
- Land Records from 1843
- Clerk of the Circuit Court had divorce & court records
1776--Monongalia County was created 7 October 1776 from the District of West Augusta.
County seat: Morgantown
Monongalia County has been called "mother of counties" because many originated as part of it. The first set off was Harrison County, in 1784. See a table of West Virginia County formation histories, or an interactive map of Monongalia County boundary changes.
The Monongalia County Court Clerk's outbuilding, containing deeds, tax assessment rolls, Court records and marriage records, was burned in 1796. Some records, such as district court records, are retrievable elsewhere (see below).
Places / Localities
- Heinegg, Paul. "Monongalia County Personal Property Tax List, 1783-1821," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
- Lawnwood Cemetery, Morgantown BillionGraves
- Pool Cemetery, Morgantown BillionGraves
- Sunnyside Cemetery, Morgantown BillionGraves
1820 - Exists, but the National Archives microfilm copy of Monongalia County, Virginia omits page 51a. The missing names have been published in The Virginia Genealogist:
- Petty, Gerald M. "Virginia 1820 Federal Census: Names Not on the Microfilm Copy," The Virginia Genealogist 18, no 2 (April-June 1974):136-139.
- The list is also available online at the Shenandoah County, Virginia GenWeb Project.
1890 Veterans' Census
- Skidmore, E.J. and J.M. Ware. 1890 West Virginia Veteran Schedule: North Central Region: Including the Counties of Taylor, Preston, Marion, Doddridge, Harrison, Monongalia and Barbour. Kerens, W. Va.: EJ Pub, 2007. FHL.
Court records were destroyed by a fire in the County Clerk's outbuilding in 1796, but some subsequent cases into the 1820s concerned events arising before that time.
- Monongalia County Court Minute and Order Books 1796 to 1905 (with gaps), including a one-volume every-name index, are available on microfilm at the FHL.
- A card file index to Monongalia County District, Superior and County Court case file papers in the West Virginia Collection, West Virginia University Library, Morgantown, titled Court Record Index to 1929 is available on 58 microfilms at the Family History Library. It includes name and subject indexes.
- Chalkley, Lyman. Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia Extracted from the Original Court Records of Augusta County, 1745-1800. Rosslyn, Va.: The Commonwealth Printing Co. for Mary S. Lockwood, c1912-13, reprinted 1965. 3 Vols. FHL. OCR scans of text, with linked every-name indexes, available on internet at Rootsweb. [Extracts of Augusta County Court records include cases heard in the Court of Appeals in Staunton, including some from Monongalia County. See critique of errors and omissions by Daphne Gentry, of the Library of Virginia.]
- Zinn, Melba Pender. Monongalia County, (West) Virginia, Records of the District, Superior and County Courts. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, c1990-2002. 12 Vols. FHL. [Abstracts of case file papers in the West Virginia Collection, West Virginia University Library, Morgantown. Surname index in each volume.]
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Abel] Goertler, Betty Jean Abels and Nina Louise Abels Pitthan. Genealogy of the Abels Family. 1982. FHL.
- [Baker] Burchinal, Beryl Modest and Yvonne Marie Wilson Dailey. George Baker Family: Monongalia County, West Virginia. Pittsburgh, Pa.: B.M. Burchinal, 2001. FHL.
- [Barb] White, Magree E. Descendants of Isaac Barb, ca.1770-1981. MSS., available at FHL.
- [Barnes] Barnes, Phil. Ancestor Table. Prescott, Ariz.: P. Barnes, 1981. FHL.
- [Barrickman] Adams, Henderson L. The Bergmann-Barrickman Families of West Virginia, Especially Descendants of John and Barbara Pickenpaugh Barrickman. Fort Walton Beach, Florida: H.L. Adams, 1987. FHL.
- [Bergmann] See Barrickman.
- [Bird] Bird, Leonard William. A Family History of John and Rachel Bird of Graham County, Kansas: Their Ancestors and Their Dependents [sic]. Beatrice, Neb.: L.W. Bird, 1990. FHL.
- [Bishop] Carl, Betty Jane. The Family of William Harrison Bishop aka Harry 1856-1920 & Sarah Catherine Feather 1871-1958 of West Virginia. MSS., Copy: FHL.
- [Boyles] Beeching, Dixie Boyles. Boyles Family [and] Fetty Family History. MSS., 1978-1979, Copy: FHL.
- [Brand] Brand, Franklin Marion. The Brand Family of Monongalia County, Virginia (Now West Virginia). Morgantown, W. Va.: F.M. Brand, 1922. FHL; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Brittain] Pursel, Vida Miller, Franklin Marion Brand, and Edward Mathews. The Brittain-Britton Families of New York, Virginia, Pennsylvania. [reprint, Salem, Mass.: Higginson, 1995?]. FHL.
- [Britton] See Brittain.
- [Brummage] Wakeman, Virginia Brumage. Brumage-Brummage: They are the Same Family: Monongalia and Marion Counties, West Virginia. Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, 1988. FHL.
- [Carter] Carter, John Denton. The Carters of Greene County, Tennessee: An Early American Frontier Family. Biloxi, Miss.: J.D. Carter, 1981. FHL.
- [Clark] Klingman, Eloise Clark. Trailing Our Clark Family to Missouri. Albuquerque, New Mexico: E.C. Klingman, 1980. FHL.
- [Clemmer] See Warman.
- [Cobun] Early, Margaret Abigail Holt. Holt-Bennett Family History. Parsons, W. Va.: McClain Print. Co., [c1974]. FHL.
- [Coburn] Coburn, Raymond H. Ancestors and Descendants of James William Coburn, 1850-1929. Parsons, W. Va.: McClain Print Co., 1982. FHL.
- [Cochran] Mayo, Teri Cochran and Cochran Family Organization (Gurnee, Illinois). Cochran Family Newsletter. (1983). FHL.
- [Cochran] Cochran, Teri Ann. The Descendants of James Cochran of Virginia (1749-1830). Deer River, Minnesota: Cochran Family Organization, 1986. FHL.
- [Criss] Johnston, Aaron Montgomery. Ancestors and Descendants of James and Althea (Loose) Johnston and Allied Families: Bennett, Criss, Gay, Loose, Maitland, Montgomery, Palm and Round. Knoxville, Tenn., 1983. FHL Book 929.273 J644j.
- [Cushman] Burt, Alvah Walford. Cushman Genealogy and General History: Including the Descendants of the Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and Monongalia County, Virginia Families. Cincinnati, Ohio: A.W. Burt, 1942. FHL.
- [Davies] Firl, Veryl Emma Bowen. Samuel Bowen and His Descendants. [Rochester, Minn.: V.B. Fiel], 1980. FHL.
- [DeWeese] Descendants of John Blaw (Blue), d. 1757 Somerset Co., NJ, Supplement to the 4th Edition: Susannah (Blue) DeWeese Family. 1991. FHL.
- [Digman] Poling, Newton L. and Virginia S. Poling. The Digman Family of West Virginia: A Personal Glimpse. Mt. Airy, Md.: ElderSong Publications, 1997. FHL.
- [Dotson] Dotson, James E. The Ancestors of James E. Dotson & Ruth Ann Orr: of Ohio - Maryland - New Jersey - Pennsylvania - West Virginia - England - Germany - Ireland - Scotland. 1993. FHL; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Downing] Wuertele, Harriet M. Downings and Relations: Some Family Histories. Calistoga, Calif.: H.M. Wuertele, 1985. FHL.
- [Dragoo] Parsons, Vi. Jacob Dragoo and Our Susanna Bright Side. Pleasanton, California: Carr Twins and Co., 2008. FHL.
- [Eckhart] Brown, H. Andrew. George Adam Eckhart and Philip Hansel of Allegany County, Maryland: Including Their Descendants of Fayette County, Pennsylvania; Monongalia County, West Virginia, Northeast Iowa with the Surname, Eckhart, Echard, Hansel, Hentzel, Clapsaddle, Slagle, Eyster, Workman, Zearley, Bevans , and Forsythe. Los Angeles, Calif.: H.A. Brown, 1990. FHL. 1989 edition: FHL.
- [Efaw] Dauner, Carolyn Wells. The Descendants of Jacob Efaw and Mary Suthard. Pinehurst, N.C.: C.W. Dauner, 1994. FHL.
- [Faussett] Henry, Hazel Bailey. Robert Faussett, Sr. MSS., Copy: FHL.
- [Frederick] Stephens, Elaine Frederick and Mel Stephens. The Frederick Family of Monongalia County, Virginia and North Manchester, Indiana. [Murrieta, Calif.]: E.F. and M. Stephens, 1986. FHL; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Guseman] Allen, Alta Kincheloe. Abraham Guseman Descendants. Ann Arbor, Mich.: Edwards Brothers, 1938. FHL.
- [Hamilton] Shaw, James W. The Hamilton Family: Descendants of Scottish Immigrants. Hutchinson, Kansas: J. Shaw, 198-?. FHL.
- [Hamilton] Baldwin, John D. and Lloyd B. Hamilton. Hamilton Family of Prince George's County, Maryland, to Monongalia and Preston Counties (West) Virginia, Fayette County, Penna and Beyond: Descendants of Gavin-1 Hamilton. Rex, Georgia: L.B. Hamilton, 1998. FHL; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Hammer] Parker, Wayne V. and Olive Marian Garmire Parker. The Hammers Genealogy: The Descendants of Peter Hammer, 1757-1838, York and Greene Counties, Pennsylvania, a Soldier of the Revolutionary War. Also the Family Lines that are the Ancestors of the Writer, His Cousins and Others, Linn-Lynn- Colburn-Skinner-Van Voorhees-Hanna. Wichita, Kan.: n.p., 1972. FHL.
- [Hansel] Klotz, Lyle Milne. The Story of Our Family: John & Mary Hansel & Alexander & Patience Milne of Northeast Iowa. Olympia, Wash.: L.M. Klotz, 1991. FHL.
- [Harr] Hornick, Janet Gesas. Descendants of John Harr and Elizabeth Merrifield. Englewood, Colo.: J. Hornick, 2000. FHL; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Hawkins] Fedorchak, Catharine F. Hawkins Family of West Virginia: Rev. William Hawkins of Marion County and His Brother, Joshua Hawkins with Miscellaneous Hawkins, Brown, and Allen Family Material. Gary, Ind.: C.F. Fedorchak, 1959. FHL.
- [Hess] Parsons, Thelma Hess. I Shook My Family Tree: Peter Hess and Descendants, 1755-1982 (Especially Descendants of James T Hess). Cedar Rapids, Iowa: T.H. Parsons, 1983. FHL.
- [Hoffman] Brown, Patsy Ann Saily Reck. Hoffman--Huffman, 1741-1995. 2 vols. [Cascadia, Oregon: P.A.S. Brown, 1995]. FHL.
- [Holland] "Holland, Reazon of Mongalia, Virginia," Virginia Folder Collection at Virginia Pioneers ($).
- [Hoskins] Hoskins, Robert J., Ella N. Hoskins, and Donna Hoskins Higley. Trails West: A History of the Hoskins Family. Syracuse, Utah: D.H. Higley, 1993. FHL.
- [Huffman] See Hoffman.
- [Hunt] Brown, H. Andrew. Joshua & Jonas Hunt of Alexandria Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey and Greene County, Pennsylvania: Including Their Descendants in Monongalia County, West Virginia and Northeast Iowa: Including Surnames Baker, Ely, Hansel, Iliff, Park, Seaton, Wilkinson, Zearley. Los Angeles, California: H.A. Brown, 1989. FHL.
- [Ice] Ice Family Records. Bible records, copies of diaries, letters, and newspaper notices of Lucas County, Ohio / Daughters of the American Revolution. Fort Industry Chapter (Toledo, Ohio) -- p. 62-72; Copy: FHL.
- [Jarrett] Burchinal, Beryl Modest. The Jarrett Family of Fayette County, Pennsylvania and Monongalia County, West Virginia. Pittsburgh, Pa.: B.M. Burchinal, 2002. FHL.
- [Johns] Johns, Esther England. The Descendants of William Johns, 1808-1867, and Jenifer Blight Johns, 1811-1875, Cornwall, England. Massillon, Ohio: E.E. Johns, 1974. FHL.
- [Jones] Stickney, Alpheus Beede. Lucy [May Peirpoint] & Oliver [Shirtliff Jones]: Some West Virginia Genealogy [for] Peirpoint, Smell, Jones, Petty. Pittsburgh, Pa.: Mimeographed for the Compiler, 1953. FHL.
- [Jones] "Gale-Shinn-Stanton-Jones," The American Genealogist, Vol.31 (1955):54-56. American Ancestors.
- [Keller] See Digman.
- [Kelley] Duncil, Charles W. William Kelley - Elwood Smith Genealogy, Browns Chapel, Monongalia County, W. Va.: The Story of the Two Families and How They Intermarried and Held Reunions for Over 50 Years. MSS., Butler, Pa.; also available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Kelly] Kelly, Richard T. and Clifton M. Nichols. History of James and Catherine Kelly and Their Descendants. Springfield, Ohio: Springfield Pub. Co., . FHL.
- [Kelly] Ward, Bonnie Lee. George Washington Kelly and His Descendents: A 145 Year History, 1837-1982. Fern Park, Florida: B.L. Ward, c1982. FHL.
- [Kennedy] See McCord.
- [Knotts] See also Thorn.
- [Knotts] Knotts, Robert Homer. James Absalom Knotts Jr. Mulberry, Fla.: R.H. Knotts, 1982. FHL.
- [Knotts] Knotts, Robert Homer. Joseph Knotts & Mary Arnold. Salisbury, N.C.: R.H. Knotts, 1984. FHL.
- [Kratzer] Rosenkild, Gertrude Kratzer. The Kratzer Clan: Line of Jopseh and Mary Polly (Dunn) Kratzer, Married 1795. Mason City, Iowa: G.K. Rosenkild, 1981. FHL.
- [Lemasters] Hardway, Ronald V. Benjamin Lemasters of Nicholas County, West Virginia: His Ancestry, His War Record, His Descendants. [Summersville, West Virginia?]: R.V. Hardway, 1993. FHL.
- [Linn] Hull, Margaret Virginia. Genealogical History of the Family of William Linn Who Came from Belfast, Ireland, in 1771. Scottdale, Pa.: Mennonite Publishing House, 1932. FHL.
- [McCord] Mitchell, Patricia D. Descendants of William Emrod McCord & Delilah Ann Kennedy, 1884-1993, Daybrook, West Virginia. Dallas, Texas: P. Mitchell, 1993. FHL.
- [McMillan] McMillan, Forrest Dale. The McMillan Family of Preston and Monongalia Counties, West Virginia. Richmond, Va.: F.D. McMillan, 1974. FHL.
- [Mellett] Miller, Franklin. The Mellett and Hickman Families of Henry County, Indiana. 2 vols. Gambier, Ohio: Franklin Miller, c1974. FHL.
- [Merrifield] See also Harr.
- [Merrifield] Core, Earl L. The Monongalia Story: A Bicentennial History. 5 vols. Parsons, W. Va.: McClain Print. Co., 1974-1984.
- [Merrifield] Core, Earl. “The Monongalia Story – We Need Information on the Merrifields,” The Merrifield Family Quarterly, Vol. 2, No. 4 (Nov. 1985):3-4.
- [Merrifield] Hornick, Janet Gesas. Descendants of Richard Merrifield and Phoebe Tucker. Englewood, Colo.: J.G. Hornick, 2003. FHL.
- [Michael] Senger, Clyde M. Notes on the Ancestors and Descendants of Jared Michael and Mary Kelso: 1847 Pioneer to Linn County, Oregon. Bellingham, Wash.: C. Senger, 1991. FHL.
- [Minney] Minney, Fern. The Family Album of the Minney, Shock, Dobbins, Stump and Related Families. [Morgantown, W.Va.: Fern], c1977. FHL.
- [Morgan] See Warman.
- [Moore] Chatelain, Virginia Atkinson. Moore Family Group Record, 1786-1896. FHL.
- [Nicholson] Chatelain, Virginia Atkinson. Nicholson Family Group Records, ca. 1797-1911. FHL.
- [Park] Harl, Louise. W. A. Park Family: (As Far As I Know). MSS. Copy: FHL.
- [Pierpoint] Ambler, Charles H. Francis H. Pierpont, Union War Governor of Virginia and Father of West Virginia. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1937.
- [Pierpoint] Stickney, A.B. "The American Ancestry of John Pierpoint of (West) Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 2, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1958):51-61. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Poole] Wilkins, Robert Poole. The Poole Family of Hamsphire and Monongalia Counties, West Virginia: Being Principally Descendants of the Reverend Ashby Poole (1788-1867) of Morgantown, As Well As Associated Members of the Ferguson, Morgan and McRa Families. Grand Forks, North Dakota: R.P. Wilkins, 1988. FHL.
- [Prickett] Prickett, J.M. Prickett Family, ca. 1736-1932. MSS. Copy: FHL.
- [Protzman] See Utt.
- [Reazon] "Holland, Reazon of Mongalia, Virginia," Virginia Folder Collection at Virginia Pioneers ($).
- [Rogers] Webb, Alice E. Branches Over the Wall. Mesa, Arizona: A. Webb, 1989. FHL.
- [Shinn] See Jones.
- [Shriver] Rowland, Ralph Shearer and Star Wilson Rowland. Wilsons and Burchells and Related Families, 1608-1976. Fairfax, Va.: R. and S. Rowland, 1976. FHL Book 929.273 W691a.
- [Smith] See Kelley.
- [Snider] Frank, Roger B. A Genealogy and Personal History: These are Selected Biographical Sketches and a Corresponding Genealogy of Some of My Ancestors in Four Families from the Snider, the Morgan, the Icenhower, and the Frank Lines Who Helped Shape America ... Littleton, Colorado: R.B. Frank, 1985. FHL.
- [Snodgrass] Kaufman, Jean L. Messing and James E. Kaufman. Snodgrass: Solomon's Descendancy: A Genealogical Record. Dubuque, Iowa: J.L. and J.E. Kaufman, 1989. FHL.
- [Steele] Steele, Donley Morris. A Genealogy of the Descendants of James Steele and His Wife, Mary: Late of Clinton District, Monongalia County, Virginia (Now West Virginia). [Morgantown, W. Va.: D.M. Steele, 1919]. FHL.
- [Stewart] Steward, Bradford Alan. William Stewart of Monongalia County, Morgantown, W. Va. MSS., available at FHL.
- [Tegarden] Murray, Grethel C. The Family History of the Tegarden Family: With Records and Notes. 1963. FHL.
- [Tennant] Tennant, J. Ross. Memories of J. Ross Tennant, and a Genealogy of the Family Originated by Richard Tennant. 4 vols. Morgantown, W.Va.: Morgantown Printing & Binding, 1942-1948. FHL.
- [Tennant] Gates, Nancy E. and Sharon Pawlowski. The Tennants of West Virginia : Descendants of Richard and Elizabeth (Haught) Tennant. [Waverly, W. Va.]: N.E. Gates, . FHL.
- [Thorn] Knotts, Robert Homer. Michael Thorn and Sarah Knotts. Salisbury, S.C.: R.H. Knotts, 1985. FHL.
- [Tibbs] Pugh, S. Earline Tibbs. Tibbs, Bennett, Crull, Etc., Families of Monogalia Co., VA, Scioto Co., OH, Etc.: Their Ancestors, Descendants, and Allied Families; Ashley, Bennett, Bourne, Crist, Crull, Dalrymple, Dodge, Fairchild, Feirl, Foye, Frum, Glover, Hannum, Hess, Jacobs, Jenkins, Jones, Kinker, Low, McDowell, Mollisee, Munn, Olin, Pugh, Rockwell, Samson, Slattery, Slocum, Snider, Southworth, Stockham, Stover, Stygler, Thomas, Tibbs, Utt, Valentine, Williams and Many Others; Also Data on the Tebbs/Tibbs Family of VA and Their Descendants. 2000. FHL; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Utt] Mitchell, Patricia D. Ancestors and Descendants of Morgan Orlando Utt and Olive Rebecca (Protzman) Utt, Monongalia County, West Virginia. Dallas, Texas: P.D. Mitchell, 1996. FHL; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Wade] Brand, Franklin Marion. The Wade Family: Monongalia County, Virginia, Now West Virginia. Morgantown, W. Va.: [F.M. Brand, 1927]. FHL.
- [Warman] Titus, Elroy Wilson. A History of the Warman, Wells and Related Families. Columbus, Ohio: E. Titus, 1991. FHL.
- [Wells] See Warman.
- [Willford] Womer, Eleanor. Willford Family Genealogical Records, 1675-1974. MSS. Copy: FHL.
- [Williams] See also Tibbs.
- [Williams] Holmes, Maurice and Dorotha Williams Marquis. Some of the Descendants of Gabriel Williams, 1756-1827, and Margaret Lytton Williams, 1764-1841. MSS., Stevens Museum, Salem, Ind.; also available at FHL.
- [Wilson] Rowland, Ralph Shearer and Star Wilson Rowland. Wilsons and Burchells and Related Families, 1608-1976. Fairfax, Va.: Ralph and Star Rowland, 1976. FHL.
- [Wilson] Stonestreet, Elizabeth Wilson. Ancestors and De[s]cendants of Isaac and Elizabeth G. Wilson. Harrisville, West Virginia: E.W. Stonestreet, 1979. FHL.
- [Zearley] Hamilton, Beth A. The Zearleys and Their Descendants. [Morgantown, West Virginia?: West Virginia University?, 1992?]. FHL.
Monongalia County Deeds were destroyed in a fire in the County Clerk's outbuilding in 1796. Many of the destroyed instruments were re-recorded in the now extant County Deeds (Old Series) and in the Monongalia County District Court Deeds. The latter series included mainly transactions conducted by out-of-County and out-of-State residents. As in most such records, many of the post-1796 deeds recited a chain of title.
Titles to Monongalia County lands were initially conveyed by the Commonwealth of Virginia mainly in right of settlement, although some speculators bought land warrants (rights to survey and claim grants to specific tracts) and resold them. No Monongalia County lands were granted pursuant to Revolutionary War Bounty Land Warrants. The Land Office's copies of all land grants issued by VA up to 1862 are available on the internet at the Library of Virginia (go to "Land Office Patents and Grants/Northern Neck Grants and Surveys" link to search). The County Clerk retains transcripts of the original land surveys, as well as original Land Entry Books (available on microfilm at FHL). The titles in right of settlement were allocated by a Commission for Adjusting Claims to Unpatented Lands 1773-1785; its minutes are retained by the County Clerk, and available on microfilm at FHL and in the West Virginia State Archives, Charleston. Extracts of the proceedings were published by Earl L. Core, The Monongalia Story: a Bicentennial History (see Local History section of this page), mainly in Vol. 2.
- Toothman, Rick. Monongalia County, (West) Virginia, Deed Book Records 1784-1810 (Old Series Volumes 1-4). Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1994. FHL.
- Core, Earl L. The Monongalia story: a Bicentennial History. Parsons, W. Va.: McClain Printing Company, 1974-1984. 5 Vols. FHL.
- Rush, West & Company (Philadelphia, Pa.). Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Monongalia, Marion and Taylor Counties, West Virginia: Comprising About Five Hundred Sketches of the Prominent and Representative Citizens of These Counties: Illustrated. Philadelphia, Pa.: Rush, West & Company, 1895. FHL.
- Shively, Norman B. and Samuel T. Wiley. Index to Samuel T. Wiley's History of Monongalia County, West Virginia (1883). Morgantown, W. Va.: Monongalia County Bicentennial Committee, 1976. FHL.
- Wiley, Samuel T. History of Monongalia County, West Virginia, from Its First Settlements to the Present Time with Numerous Biographical and Family Sketches. Kingwood, W. Va.: Preston Publishing Co., 1883. FHL.
- Lathrop, J. M., H. C. Penny, W. R. Proctor, et al. An Atlas of Marion and Monongalia Cos., West Virginia.
Philadelphia, PA: D. J. Lake & Co., 1886. [A map of each Magisterial District and detail maps of major towns show land owners, as well as many businesses, cemeteries, schools and churches]. Microfilm images available at $ancestry.com; available on CD: FHL and the published volume is available at the West Virginia Collection, West Virginia Univeristy Library, as well as other local and major libraries.
French and Indian War, 1755-1763
- Bockstruck, Lloyd DeWitt. Virginia's Colonial Soldiers. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1988. FHL. [Some French and Indian War veterans later lived in Monongalia County, but no one served at this time while living here. Some men from eastern VA are identified as having served "at Monongalia" in 1756, but Gen. Braddock's expedition into PA is meant. Two men are mentioned in the book as living in Monongalia County in 1779; see place name index.]
Regiments. Service men in Monongalia County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Monongalia County supplied soldiers for the:
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Book 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Eastern Monongalia County and Western Monongalia County on page 135.]
- Jeanne Robey Felldin and Charlotte Magee Tucker. Index to The Soldiery of West Virginia by Virgil A. Lewis; Tomball, Texas: Genealogical Publications, 1976. FHL.
- Ross B. Johnston, comp. West Virginians in the American Revolution; Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1997. FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Alphabetized extracts from Revolutionary War Pension Application declarations, including residents of Monongalia County.]
- Virgil A. Lewis. The Soldiery of West Virginia in the French and Indian War; Lord Dunmore's War; the Revolution; the Later Indian Wars; the Whiskey Insurrection; the Second War with England; the War with Mexico, and Addenda Relating to West Virginians in the Civil War. Charleston, W.Va.: State of West Virginia, 1911. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1967-1998. FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes a Monongalia County muster roll, lists of Revolutionary War pensioners copied from Report to Congress (1835) and summaries of legislation about recruitment for State and Continental troops and regarding Congressional pensions.]
- Donna Parker. Every name index to the soldiery of West Virginia French and Indiana War ... War with Mexico ... and addenda ... Civil War, by Virgil A. Lewis; Burbank, Calif.: Southern California Genealogical Society, 1993. FHL.
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Book 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
- Williams, Mary K. Monongalia County, West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1776-1906. [Morgantown, W. Va.: M.K. Williams], 1986. FHL.
- Gilchrist, Joy Gregoire. Abstracts of Early Monongalia County, (West) Virginia Newspapers, 1816 - 1842. Coshocton, Ohio: Squires Family Researchers, n.d. FHL.
- [Bayles] Bayles Family Records. Bible records, copies of diaries, letters, and newspaper notices of Lucas County, Ohio / Daughters of the American Revolution. Fort Industry Chapter (Toledo, Ohio) -- p. 8-10. Copy: FHL.
- [Rice] Family Bible of Philemon L. Rice and Serena Elizabeth Laidley [Records ca. 1799-1927]. Original records, in possession of Mrs. Charles Everly of Fairmount, West Virginia (1959). Copy: FHL.
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Monongalia County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 18, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1974):293-295. FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
How can Virginia tax lists help me?
- [1783-1850] Monongalia County, [West] Virginia Personal Property Tax Lists, 1783-1850. Original records, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Va. Copy: FHL.
- [1783-1821] Heinegg, Paul. "Monongalia County Personal Property Tax List, 1783-1821," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
-  Core, Earl L. The Monongalia Story: A Bicentennial History. Parsons, W. Va.: McClain Printing Company, 1976. FHL 975.452 H2c v. 2 (1786 tithe list begins on p. 142)
- [1786-1788]Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. FHL. [Sources for this publication are the 1787 and 1788 personal property tax lists, and partial 1786 personal property tax list (names of those who do not appear on 1787 and 1788 lists were abstracted). Monongalia County is included in Vol. 2.]
- [1788-1806]Monongalia County, [West] Virginia Land Tax, 1788-1806, MSS., W. Guy Tetrick Collection, Clarksburg, W. Va., prepared by the Historical Records Survey; also available on microfilm at FHL.
-  Indexed images of the 1790 Personal Property Tax List of Monongalia County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available online at Binns Genealogy.
- [1796-1865] Monongalia County, [West] Virginia Land Tax, 1796-1865. Original records, Monongalia County Courthouse, Morgantown, W. Va.; also available on microfilm at FHL.
- [1799-1806] Monongalia County, [West] Virginia Land Tax, 1799-1806, MSS., West Virginia University Library, Morgantown, W. Va., prepared by the Historical Records Survey; also available on microfilm at FHL.
-  Images of the 1800 Personal Property Tax List of Monongalia County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available to browse online at Binns Genealogy.
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Monongalia County is included in Vol. 6.]
- Carter, Eleanor Yost, Kathleen Mahaffey Bogdan, and Marion County Genealogy Club (Fairmont, W. Va.). Monongalia County Births. [1853-1876] 3 vols. Fairmont, W. Va.: Marion County Genealogy Club, 1991. FHL.
- Daughters of the American Revolution. Elizabeth Lundington Hagans Chapter (Texas). Death Records, Monongalia County, West Virginia, 1856-1863. Tomball, Texas: Genealogical Publications, 1976. FHL.
- Trickett, Lorna. Deaths, Monongalia County: 1853-1899. MSS., W. Guy Tetrick Collection, Clarksburg, W. Va., prepared by the Historical Records Survey. Copy: FHL.
- Trickett, Lorna. Deaths, Monongalia County, West Virginia: 1853-1899. MSS., West Virginia University Library, Morgantown, W. Va., prepared by the Historical Records Survey. Copy: FHL.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ John Frederick Dorman, "Review of Monongalia County, (West) Virginia: Records of the District, Superior and County Courts, Volume 1:1776-1799," in The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 34, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1990):133-134.
- ↑ E.M. Sanchez-Saavedra, A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations in the American Revolution, 1774-1787 (Richmond, Va.: Virginia State Library, 1978), 69. FHL Book 975.5 M2s.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News