Monroe County, Indiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Monroe County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Monroe County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 14, 1818|
|Address|| Monroe County Courthouse|
100 W 5th St; PO Box 547
Bloomington, IN 47402-0547
For tips on accessing Monroe County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Mortality Schedule for Monroe County (1860) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Monroe County (1880) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Census of Males for Clear Creek Township, Monroe County (1919) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
- Index to Court Records for Monroe County (1818-1875) (free, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Local histories are available for Monroe County, Indiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies; church, school and government histories; and military information.
- Blanchard, Charles. Counties of Morgan, Monroe, and Brown, Indiana. Historical and Biographical. (Chicago: F.A. Battey Co, 1884.) 977.2 H2b FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collectionother libraryINTERNET ARCHIVE
- History of Monroe County - Linkpendium
- Monroe County History - USGenWeb
- Monroe County, Indiana, Family Heritage Book, published by the Monroe County Historical Society in 1987.Contains an every-name index.
- Monroe County, Indiana, Family Heritage Book, published by the Monroe County History Center in 2007.Contains an every-name index. Material does not overlap with the book by the same name published in 1987.
- Index to History of Harrodsburg (1964) (free, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to History of Stinesville (1955) (free, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Land and Property
- Earliest Landowners in Monroe County (Indiana Genealogical Society)
- A database index of grantors and grantees from c 1811-1870 is available online from the Monroe County History Center at http://www.monroehistory.org/genealogy_library/land_index.htm. A hard copy of the index is also available at the facility.
- Maps and Gazetteers - Linkpendium
War of 1812
Hopkins, T. M. Reminiscences of Col. John Ketcham of Monroe County, Indiana(Salt Lake City, Utah 1989) pages 23
- Monroe County in the Mexican-American War
- William M. Alexander Civil War Pension File
- List of Pensioners on the Roll January 1, 1883 Monroe County, Indiana (Source: Internet Archive)
- African American Veterans in Monroe County, Indiana (1890) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- World War I
- Gold Star Honor Roll A Record of Indiana Men and Women who Died in World War I - 1914-1918 (Source: Genealogy Trails History Group)
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Monroe County (Source: Explore Ancestry.com) ($)
Civil War service men from Monroe County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Monroe County.
- 9th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company I
- 14th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 18th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 22nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 31st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 38th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 50th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 52nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company E
- 54th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 67th Regiment, Indiana Infantry , Company B
- 82nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies D, and F
- 93rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 97th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 110th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 112th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 117th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Company I
- 133rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company K
- 137th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company K
- 145th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, D, and E
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troop
Civil War Books
- "Military History" in Blanchard, Charles. Counties of Morgan, Monroe, and Brown, Indiana. Historical and Biographical. (Chicago: F.A. Battey Co, 1884.) page 413-451, 977.2 H2b FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other library INTERNET ARCHIVE
World War I
World War II
- Monroe County, Indiana World War II Casualties, Army and Army Air Corps (Source: AccessGenealogy)
- Index to Draft Enrollment List for Monroe County, Indiana (1862) (free, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Monroe County, Indiana Genealogy newspapers may contain genealogical value including obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, family gatherings, family travel, achievements, business notices, engagement information, and probate court proceedings.
The Genealogy Library at Monroe County History Center at Sixth and Washington in Bloomington has a clipping file containing more than 73,000 clippings from newspapers mostly between 1880 and 1930.These clippings are not available online and overlap only minimally with the clippings archived at Rootsweb.
Many thousands of newspaper clippings, some as early as 1824, are also available in the INMONROE Rootsweb list archive. To search the archive, go to www.rootsweb.com.Under the heading Mailing List, select Archives Search.Choose the Advanced tab.Enter INMONROE in the query box for list name.
The Monroe County Public Library at Bloomington has an extensive obituary index available online.It dates from 1824 through the current month.It can be found by clicking on "Obituary Index" within the box on the left labeled INDIANA ROOM at http://mcpl.info/pathfinder/Genealogy. Most of the obits come from a single newspaper.Consequently, if the obit you seek is not found in the index, try one of the other newspapers from the same date.
Monroe County Courthouse
100 W 5th St; PO Box 547
Bloomington, IN 47402-0547
County clerk has marriage, divorce and
court records from 1818,
probate records from 1831.
County Health Departmenthas birth,
death and burial records from 1882.
County Recorder has land records. 
As of a date earlier than August 2012, many of the offices and the records related to the offices in the courthouse are temporarily housed in the Showers Building while the courthouse is under construction.The Clerk's Office is permanently located in the Justice Building at Seventh and College.
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Bloomington Indiana Family History Center
- Monroe County History Center, Sixth and Washington streets, Bloomington, Indiana
- Index to Will Records for Monroe County (1818-1904) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Tax Duplicates for Monroe County (1842) (free, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Indiana State Digital Archives for Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Monroe County Death Records 1921-1940 are available online at http://www.monroehistory.org/genealogy_library/deathri.htm.
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.com $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992-FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959-FamilySearch
- 1882-1920 - Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920-FamilySearch
- 1895 - Monroe County Death Index 1895 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Monroe County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Monroe County History Center's website at http://www.monroehistory.org/ has a number of databases and area photographs that contain a wealth of information.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Monroe County, Indiana 215 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/8/8d/Igiindianah.pdf.