Montague County, Texas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Montague County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Montague County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||December 24, 1857|
Montague County Courthouse
PO Box 77
Montague, Texas 76251-0077
County Clerk has birth and death records
from 1903, marriage, probate and court
records from 1873 and land records
Montague County has had four courthouses: 1858, 1879, 1885 and the current courthouse built in 1912.
Montague County Courthouse
County Clerk - Glenda Henson
P.O. Box 77
Montague, Texas 76251
Montague County Government Website
Inventory of county records, Montague County Courthouse, Montague, Texas, 1975 by James E. Riney. Inventory of records housed in the Montague County Courthouse in Montague, Texas. Describes the records of the County Clerk, District Clerk, County and District Attorney, Justice of the Peace, Tax Assessor-Collector, Sheriff, Treasurer, Auditor, and County School Superintendent. Read the book online from The Portal to Texas History.
The first Anglo-American settlers arrived in 1854. French and Spanish were in the area as early as 1719.
1873--Courthouse and many county records were destroyed by fire in February 1873.
Places / Localities
- Montague County Cemetery Listing ~ including some transcriptions ~ TXGenWeb
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
- Lindale Cemetery, Bowie BillionGraves
- History of Montague County, 1913, by Mrs. W. R. (Fannie Bellows) Potter, a history of Montague County, told through anecdotal accounts covering events that span from the mid-1800s to the early 1900s. Read the book online from The Portal to Texas History. Read the book online at archive.org.
- Montague Texas History from The Handbook of Texas Online.
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Confederate Pension Applications ~ TXGenWeb
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Montague County Obituaries ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
- Montague County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Program
- Montague County ~ TXGenWeb
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Montague County, Texas. Page 670 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).