Montmorency County, Michigan GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Michigan-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Montmorency County Courthouse
P. O. Box 789
Atlanta, MI 49709
County Clerk has birth, marriage, and death records from 1881,
divorce and court records from 1940 and military records from 1920. 
1840--Montmorency County was created 1 April 1840 from Mackinac County. Formerly Cheonoquet County until name changed to Montmoerency 8 March 1843. It was attached to Mackinac, Cheboygan, and Alpena Counties prior to organization 21 May 1881. County seat: Atlanta 
Some of the populated places still in Montmorency County, MI, are the towns of Hillman, Atlanta, Lewiston, Vienna, and the area of Canada Creek. None of them have more than a blinking light for traffic signals so that gives an idea of how rural the county is. Since the lumbering era, many other smaller area have become little more than crossroads known by the locals by the names of the towns they used to be during that times. Submitted by Ella Purkiss Accredited Genealogist and resident of Montmorency County
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Montmorency County, Michigan page 349, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News