Morecambe Holy Trinity, Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
== Chapel History  ==
 
 
POULTON-LE-SANDS, a chapelry, in the parish of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4 miles (N. W.) from Lancaster; containing, with the hamlets of Bare and Torrisholme, 1037 inhabitants, of whom 700 are in the hamlet of Poulton. "Poltune" appears to have been held soon after the Conquest by a Saxon named Eiward or Esward, to whose son Hugh, King John in the 1st year of his reign granted the "town." In the 32nd of Henry VIII., the manor was in the possession of Sir Robert Bellingham; it subsequently passed by marriage to the Ashtons and the Hoghtons. Poulton, Bare, and Torrisholme together form one township, comprising 1641a. 3r. 4p., whereof 770 acres are in Poulton. The hamlet is beautifully situated on Morecambe bay, and commands fine views of the opposite coast of Furness, and the mountains of Westmorland and Cumberland; it has a good row of houses facing the beach, erected in 1847, a comfortable hotel, and tolerable accommodation for visiters, who are attracted by the convenience afforded here for bathing. The inhabitants, who are a hardy healthy race, are engaged in fishing; and large quantities of muscles, shrimps, and cockles are sent inland. A harbour is now in course of formation, on the coast, between Poulton and Heysham. Poulton Hall is an ancient and curious building. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Lancaster; net income, £120, with a house: the great tithes have been commuted for £265, and there is an impropriate glebe of 16 acres. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was built '''in 1745''', and rebuilt in 1841, and is in the early English style, with a square tower: its re-erection cost £1700. Francis Bowes, in 1732, demised lands for a school now producing an annual income of about £35. —See Bare, Torrisholme, and Heysham.
 
 
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 602-605. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51221 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
 
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 22:02, 20 July 2010

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Contents

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.