Morgan County, Alabama GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Alabama-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Morgan County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1818|
1818--Morgan County was created 6 February 1818 from the Cherokee Turkeytown Cession.
County seat: Decatur 
1925 and 1938 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Herrin Cemetery, Hartselle BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Morgan County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
Civil War Battle Fought in Morgan County
- 1864 - October 26-29 = Decatur (partly fought in Limestone County)
Battle information from Civil War Battle Summaries by State, by the Heritage Preservation Services.
Map showing Civil War battles in Alabama.
A free collection of obituaries and death notices from various funeral homes in the Morgan County area has been put together by GenealogyBuffs.com.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Morgan County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).