Morgan County, Indiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Indiana-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
1821--Morgan County was created 31 December 1821 from unorganized territory.
County seat: Martinsville 
March 1876 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
Civil War service men from Morgan County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Morgan County.
- 1st Regiment, Indiana Heavy Artillery, Companies B, and L
- 4th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company I
- 5th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry (90th Regiment, Indiana Volunteers), Company F
- 7th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 9th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company B
- 11th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company H
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company E
- 17th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 27th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 33rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, and C
- 59th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 70th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies D, H, and I
- 117th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Company C
- 139th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company I
- 148th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies E, H, and K
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Morgan County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).