Morillon, Haute-SavoieEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Morillon is a commune in the Haute-Savoie department of France.
In 1738, the edict of Victor Amadeus III on his elevation from Duke of Savoy to the first King of Sardinia, placed Morillon in the Province (or Department) of Faucigny whose capital was Bonneville.
In 1792, Savoy joined revolutionary France and a popular assembly styled "l'Assemblée nationale des Allobroges" proclaimed a department of Mont-Blanc and organised Morillon in the District of Cluses (Bonneville as capital) and in the canton of Samoëns.
In 1798, the Republic of Geneva was annexed to France and a new department of Léman was created. Morillon, along with the canton of Samoëns, was transferred to the new department as part of the Arrondissement of Bonneville.
After the treaties of Paris, Victor Emmanuel, King of Sardinia was restored to his possessions in Savoy in 1816. Morillon was restored to the Province of Faucigny forming part of the "mandement" (English: command) of Samoëns.
In 1860, France annexed Savoy and Morillon was placed in the department of Haute-Savoie, in the arrondissement of Bonneville and the commune of Samoëns whre it rests to this day.
The church of the parish of Morillon is dedicated to Saint Christopher. The church is of stone and was enlarged in 1577. There are also three chapels:
- Chapelle du Chatelard (Chapel Chatelard), built in its current location in 1750, it was originally located at a place called " Les Côtes ";
- Chapelle du Verney (Verney Chapel): built on the grounds of the Verney family in 1860;
- Chapelle des Miaux (Chapel Miaux): constructed in 1529 and renovated in 1995.
Today, Morillon is one of a number of communities which form part of the parish of Bienheureux Ponce en Haut-Giffre.