Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel from 1847 to 1868Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This site is an index of Mormon pioneers who came to the Salt Lake Valley by wagon train or handcart from 1847 to 1868.
- Alphabetical Company List
- Chronological Company List
- Departure date and place
- Arrival date in Salt Lake Valley
- Company Information
- Pioneer Information
- List of Sources, including full transcriptions of many original documents.
Using the site
After accessing the Church History site, click on the Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel link.
You can search the index for a specific person or you can browse the index based upon the company name either alphabetically or chronologically. The search results include the name of the individual and their age. In the company index, a person’s name and age will be given with information about their company and the captain.
- Search by surname only to obtain a list of every pioneer in the database with the same surname as your ancestor.
- Click on the company name to see details about the company and the sources used to document the company.
- In the interest of accuracy, included in this website are the names of those mentioned in period documents such pioneer diaries, the company journal, an autobiography, letters written by one of the pioneers, or the individual’s obituary. Such documents must be explicitly clear that an individual was in a specific company or that they traveled at a particular time.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More