Murray Utah Little Cottonwood Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
(Add a brief paragraph about your center here and the area it serves. Information in italics below is guidance for you and should be deleted as you fill out the page. Remove italics from other text by selecting the text and clicking the "I" box in the Toolbar above.)
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 6180 Glenoaks Drive, Murray, UT 84107
- Enter through the south side of the building
- (Link to map using Googleor other map sites)
Phone: (801) 264-4136
Tuesday 10am - 4pm, 7pm - 9pm
Wednesday 10am - 1pm, 7pm - 9pm
Thursday 10am - 4pm
Holiday Schedule: Closed for the following 2014 holidays:
July 24, 2014 - Pioneer Day
November 26 & 27, 2014 - Thanksgiving
December 22, 2014 through January 1, 2015 - Christmas & New Year's
Calendar and Events
To sign up for any of the following classes, please call or text Marianne Ruben at 801-916-1196. Also, please make sure you have a FamilySearch account set up and remember to bring your user name and password to the classes. Depending on interest, these classes will be rotated throughout 2014.
How to Get Started in Family History - Instructor: Marianne Ruben
Thursday, January 9 (7-9 pm) and Friday, January 10 (10 am - noon)
This class is for those who are new to family history work. Come and learn about the FamilySearch website including where to go for help, how to navigate in Family Tree, and the steps to get started in finding your ancestors.
Photos & Stories - Instructor: Steve Howell
Thursday, January 16 (7-9 pm) and Friday, January 17 (10 am - noon)
Bring scanned photos and digitized histories of your ancestors to the Family History Center and we will teach you how to attach them in Family Tree. This is a great way to preserve the details of an ancestor’s life and make them available to all who are related to them! For those needing help with scanning, we would be happy to help you with that prior to this class.
Family Tree - Instructor: Tom Decker
Thursday, February 13 (7-9 pm) and Friday, February 14 (10 am - noon)
This class is intended for those who have already had a chance to explore their ancestral lines in Family Tree. We will teach you how to find a source in FamilySearch and attach it to your ancestor in Family Tree, add new information, correct mistakes, merge duplicates, and prepare names for temple ordinances.
Finding Records - Instructor: Adele Knudsen
Thursday, February 20 (7-9 pm) and Friday, February 21 (10 am - noon)
Come and explore other ways to find records of your ancestors that will help to document their lives. Learn about some of the subscription sites that are free at the Family History Center.
FamilySearch Research Helps - Instructor: Mandy Slack
Thursday, March 13, 2014 (7-9 pm) only
Learn how the FamilySearch Wiki can help you in your research. You will also learn how to browse for images of records that have not yet been indexed.
Descendancy Research - Instructor: Marianne Ruben
Thursday, March 20 (7-9 pm) and Friday, March 21 (10 am - noon)
We will help you find your distant cousins! Descendancy research is the process of finding all of the descendants (children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, etc.) of one of your ancestors. This class will give you step-by-step instructions on how to research descendants using the resources of FamilySearch.org.
Staff Training Meetings
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- Our Center is equipped with 9 dual monitor stations and 3 single monitor stations. A Lexmark scanner/copier is available for scanning photos and documents. A 55" wall-mount television is available for training purposes.
Staff Research Specialties
- England - Don Dalling. Available Thursday 10AM-1PM.
- Family Tree - Tom Decker. Available Thursday 10AM-1PM.
- New England Research - Adam Weagle. Available Tuesday 7-9PM
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
|This Family History Center article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Review the instructions and guidelines for FHC pages.