NARA and FHL film numbersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
United States National Archives (NARA) microfilm publications are assigned numbers such as A1151 or T524. The Family History Library (FHL) often has copies of these microfilms, but under a different number such as 1412619. Here is a method for converting a NARA number to an FHL number.
Number Conversion List. For a table showing National Archives (NARA) microfilm series and their corresponding Family History Library (FHL) film numbers, click here.
Although the link states, "See the explanations for each column at the front of the register," the file does not link to the explanatory page; therefore, here is an explanation of this table: The first column in the chart is labeled NARA Series. The letters and numbers refer to a specific series of films housed in the National Archives. The third column is labeled FHL First Film. This is the first film number in a specific set of records in the collection of the Family History Library. The fourth column is labeled Film Extent. The number in this column is the total number of Family History Library films for the set of records. The last column is labeled GRINA Page. The number in this column is the page number in the book, Eales, Anne Bruner and Robert M. Kvasnicka, eds. Guide to Genealogical Research in the National Archives. Washington, DC: NARA, 2000 (FHL book 973 j53E).
Instructions: Follow the instructions below to learn more about the specific National Archives / Family History Library film number.
- Click here to open the NARA Cross-Reference to FHL Film table.
- Find the National Archives microfilm series number in the NARA Series column of NARA Cross-Reference to FHL Film.
- Copy the film number you find in column 3, FHL First Film, of NARA Cross-Reference to FHL Film. (Highlight the number by holding down the left mouse button while dragging it across the number. Then tap Ctrl-C to copy the number.)
- Then return (back arrow) to this page.
- http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=generalfilmsearch&columns=*,0,0 Click here[dead link] to open the FHL Catalog Film/Fiche Search.
- Paste (tap Ctrl-V) the film number copied from column 3 into the Film/Fiche Search's search box, and the click the Search button.
- Click the View Film Notes button to see the content of each film.
- Finding National Archive films in the Family History Library Catalog
- NARA blog Microfilm Publications and Original Records Digitized by Our Digitization Partners