Netherlands Web-sitesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Genlias is the premier site for Dutch records. The information from this site was taken directly from the Netherlands Civil Register. Some church records are also included. This site contains almost 10.5 million records with over 44 million names. The index is not complete; records are continuously being added. Most notably missing are records from Amsterdam, 's-Gravenhage (The Hague)(Genlias does have marriage records for The Hague from 1811-1842), Rotterdam, Leiden, Delft, etc.
If you want to see what is currently included in Genlias, go to the web-site http://www.genlias.nl/ and click on "What is in Genlias". Scroll down till you find "Current database status" and click on the orange(!) link. Choose the province and then the town you are looking for. If the town is not there, no records are as yet available on this site. If there are records, it will tell you which time period and what type of records are covered.
There are also records included from some of the Dutch colonies.
The Genlias site includes:
Births (1811 to 1903) Marriages (1811 to 1923) Deaths (1811 to 1953) Death duties - statements of succession
According to the Genlias site:
A record of birth provides you with the following information:
- The name of the child
- The names of the parents
- The exact date of birth
- The place of birth
A record of marriage provides you with the following information:
- The names and ages of the bride and groom
- In most cases, the names of the bride's and the groom's parents
- In most cases, the places of birth of the bride and groom
- Whether the bride is a widow or the groom a widower
- In most cases the profession of groom and/or bride
A record of death provides you with the following information:
- The name of the deceased
- The exact date of death
- In most cases, the name of the deceased's parents
- In most cases, the age of the deceased
- In some cases, the deceased's place of birth
- In some cases, the name of the deceased's spouse
Using the Genilas Site
When you first visit the Genilas site, it will initially comes up in Dutch. If you want to view it in English, click English at the top of the home page.
Most genealogical websites in the Netherlands are free.
If you want to find genealogical websites in the Netherlands, search this website: Genealogie in Nederlandse provinciën
Other genealogical websites in the Netherlands include:
- Digital Resources Here you can find web-sites for every province on a regional as well as local levels.
- Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie The CBG is the ideal starting point for most research into Dutch ancestors or Dutch migrants who settled in other countries in the world.
Check your family name in our online catalogue inside the frame at the top right hand corner and find corresponding entries into our collections. For catalogue information click catalogue. In our digital reading room you have access to an increasing number of digitized collections.
- Genealogie Online Genealogy Online - Publish your family tree for free and/or search for your ancestors
Some city-specific websites:
Amsterdam christenings before 1811.