Nevada County, CaliforniaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Nevada County Courthouse
950 Maidu Ave
Nevada City, CA 95959
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1873
marriage and land records from 1856
probate and court records from 1880
1856 and 1863: Courthouse burned twice and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
For tips on accessing Nevada County, California census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Grass Valley
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- California Trail 1844 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- Truckee (River) Trail 1844 crossed the Forty Mile Desert to the Truckee River to follow it west past Reno, Nevada to Donner Pass to Emigrant Gap to Sutter's Fort (Sacramento, California). The exact route varied over the years, the most used being the Nevada City Road and Auburn Emigrant Road combination.
- Roller Pass 1846 alternate to the Truckee Trail two miles south of Donner Pass through Emigrant Gap to Placerville, California
- Nevada City Road 1850 branched off the Truckee Trail through Emigrant Gap to Nevada City, California the most important mining area 1850-1851
- Auburn Emigrant Road 1850 believed to be from Nevada City to Auburn to Sacramento, California
- Henness Pass Road 1850 branched off the Truckee Trail at Verdi, Nevada headed for Camptonville and steamboat service at Marysville, California. In 1860 it became a major route to the Comstock Lode silver mines in Nevada.
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Reno, Nevada newspapers going back to 1870 that may include residents from Nevada County. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Nevada County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Nevada County, California. Page 86 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "First Transcontinental Railroad" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Transcontinental_Railroad (accessed 2 August 2011).
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback