New Hanover County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|New Hanover County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
New Hanover County Courthouse
3rd & Princess St Rm 103
Wilmington, NC 28401-4090
Courthouse burned 1798, 1819, & 1840
1810 Census Missing
Reg of Deeds has birth, marriage, death and land records
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate and court records
New Hanover created from Edgecombe 15 Nov 1777
Courthouse fires have destroyed some records through the years.
- [Lewis] Lewis, J.D. My Neck of the Woods: The Lewis Families of Southeastern North Carolina and Northeastern South Carolina. Little River, S.C.: J.D. Lewis, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 L585Ljd; CD-ROM no. 1036
- New Hanover County Cemeteries lists public, church, private, and family cemteries with some links to Find A Grave and Google Maps. Good information on hard to read tombstones, cleaning tombstones, cleaning and restoring cemeteries, types of grave markers. North Carolina GenWeb.
- Pine Forest Cemetery is a historical African American burial ground dating back to 1860 and the final resting place of many notable citizens. It is located on 15 acres in the city of Wilmington at the north end of 16th Street and Rankin. The Wilmington Journal published an article (May 2012) on the history of the cemetery with contact information for donations towards the preservation and upkeep of the cemetery. Search known burials and contribute information at Find A Grave. Learn more about Pine Forest Cemetery from the Folk Art Society of America.
- Cemetery Census of New Hanover County North Carolina cemeteries lists interments for Federal Point Methodist, Greenlawn Memorial Park, and Oakdale cemeteries.
For tips on accessing New Hanover County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Emigration and Immigration
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Land and Property
Early migration routes to and from New Hanover County for European settlers included:
- Atlantic Ocean
- King's Highway about 1704
- Secondary Coast Road late 1730s
- Fayetteville, Elizabethtown, and Wilmington Trail
- Wilmington, Highpoint, and Northern Trail
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -2nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -3rd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -7th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -8th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
Naturalization and Citizenship
North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project, North Carolina State Archives. Search full text historical newspapers published in Wilmington.
- 1844–1943 – Bonds, Volumes 1–17, North Carolina, Probate Records, 1735–1970, New Hanover – FamilySearch
- 1682–1905 – Wills Index, North Carolina, Probate Records, 1735–1970, New Hanover – FamilySearch
- 1735–1943 – Wills Index, Volumes 1–2 North Carolina, Probate Records, 1735–1970, New Hanover – FamilySearch
- 1943–1961 – Wills Index, Volume 3 North Carolina, Probate Records, 1735–1970, New Hanover – FamilySearch
Minutes of the Pleas and Quarter Session Court 1738-42; 1759-1769 and General Index. (contains estates, inventories, wills, deeds proved, administrators appointed, orphans, etc.) North Carolina Pioneers ($)
Search online public record databases of the New Hanover County Register of Deeds, including birth and death certificates, and marriage records.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers are also located in Shallotte, Jacksonville, Kinston, and Myrtle Beach.
Main Library and Law Library
201 Chestnut Street
Wilmington NC 28401
Northeast Regional Library
1241 Military Cutoff Rd
Wilmington NC 28405
Myrtle Grove Library
5155 South College Rd
Wilmington NC 28412
Carolina Beach Library
300 Cape Fear Blvd
Carolina Beach NC 28428
African American Heritage Museum of Wilmington
PO Box 968 Wilmington NC 28402
Cape Fear Museum of History and Science
814 Market Street
Wilmington NC 28401
Old New Hanover Genealogical Society ONHGS
PO Box 2536
Wilmington NC 28402-2536
ONHGS additional contact:
New Hanover COunty Public Library
North Carolina Room
201 Chestnut Steet
Wilmington NC 28402
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- North Carolina Pioneers ($)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), New Hanover County, North Carolina. Page 512 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.
|This North Carolina-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News