New Malton St Michael, Yorkshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
New Malton St Michael was formed as a chapelry of Old Malton, Yorkshire.
MALTON, or New Malton, an ancient borough and market-town, and the head of a union, in the wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 18 miles (N. E. by N.) from York, and 213 (N. by W.) from London; containing the parish of Old Malton. Malton comprises the parishes of St.Leonard and St. Michael. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Primitive Methodists, Unitarians, and Wesleyans. 
The church of ST. MICHAEL consists of a chancel 31 ft. by 18 ft. 5 in., north vestry, north transept 18 ft. 3 in. by 17 ft. 7 in., south transept 15 ft. 8 in. by 16 ft. 11 in., nave 56 ft. 4 in. by 23 ft. 2 in., north and south aisles of the same length, the north aisle being 8 ft. 9 in. wide at the west end and 9 ft. wide at the east, and the south aisle 6 ft. 7 in. wide at the west and 7 ft. 7 in. wide at the east, and west tower 11 ft. 8 in. by 10 ft. 11 in. These measurements are all internal.
The nave is the earliest part of the church, and has arcades which date from the middle of the 12th century. The width of the south aisle suggests that it is of the same date as its arcade; the north aisle was probably rebuilt at some subsequent date, but this and most of the later history of the church have been completely obscured by modern restorations. The tower was built in the 15th century, and in its addition the nave was slightly shortened. The chancel was rebuilt in its present form in 1858, and the chancel arch and east wall of the nave, together with the piers of the south arcade, whose original capitals remain, were rebuilt in 1883, when the present north and south transepts were erected.
From A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 1 (1914), pp. 529-537. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64797&strquery=Malton Date accessed: 15 May 2011.
In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Malton like this:
Malton, market town, East-Riding and North-Riding Yorkshire, on river Derwent, 22 miles NE. of York and 210 miles N. of London by rail, 6855 ac., pop. 8754; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The town includes Old Malton and New Malton pars., in the North-Riding, and Norton par., in the East-Riding. Malton proper is connected with Norton by a bridge over the river, which here flows through a pleasant valley. Malton was probably the Derventio of the Romans. In the reign of Stephen it was burnt down by the Archbishop of York, and when rebuilt was called New Malton. An extensive trade is carried on, principally by breweries, maltings, foundries, corn mills, and agricultural implement works. Quarries for lime and whinstone are in the vicinity, and have a large output. At Old Malton are remains of a priory founded 1150. Malton returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.
Records from the Ryedale registration district held at the North Yorkshire Registration Service are included in the online index available at Yorkshire BMD for post 1837 events; view the coverage table to check progress on the availability of index search.
- Church of England marriages.
- Civil Marriages at register offices, or non-conformist churches where a registrar was required to be present at the ceremony.
- Authorised Person marriages. These cover the non-conformist places of worship which applied to keep their own registers as a result of the Marriage Act, 1898 (bringing them into line with Jewish and Quaker marriages which had this status since 1837). In such cases an 'Authorised Person' (usually the minister or priest) recorded the ceremony instead of the registrar. Earlier weddings in these places would be included with civil marriage registers.
A secondary index of Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD however this secondary index may omit the event and may not contain the detail of the Yorkshire BMD index
Online data content from chapelry registers of NEW MALTON ST MICHAEL exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|AO = Archive.org|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|ANC = http://www.ancestry.com/ (£)|
|HATH = HathiTrust.org|
|JMI = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk|
|NEW MALTON ST MICHAEL PARISH (1570) Online Records|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, nonconformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464236.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.