New Orleans, LouisianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 17:19, 1 February 2011 by Murphynw
- Indexes to birth, marriage, and death records for New Orleans are online at The USGenWeb Archives Project for Orleans Parish, Louisiana . The indexes provide the volume and page numbers from which the FHL Catalog can be used to locate the microfilm containing the vital record of interest. Indexes for Orleans parish birth records 1790-1907 can be found online at http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/Home/Archives/ResearchLibrary/VitalRecords/OrleansParishBirths/tabid/641/Default.aspx and marriages at http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/Home/Archives/ResearchLibrary/VitalRecords/OrleansParishMarriages/tabid/633/Default.aspx Actual certificates are not available for many of these older records.
- Slave and Free People of Color Baptismal Records in the Archives 1777-1801, available online, courtesy: Office of Archives: Archdiocese of New Orleans.
- The Sacramental Records of the Roman Catholic Church of the Archdiocese of New Orleans, edited by Earl C. Woods and Charles E. Nolan are invaluable. there contain birth, baptism, marriage, and death information. Currently there are 19 volumes covering 1718 to 1831.
- A good online history of New Orleans is located at www.madere.com/history.html. The authors are Donnald McNabb and Louis E. Madere. The timeframe covered is founding of New Orleans to the Civil War.
- The Public Library of New Orleans has a wealth of online information at nutrias.org/~nopl/spec/speclist.htm including
- Louisiana Biography/Obituary Index
- Guide to Genealogical Materials
- Digging Up Roots in the Mud Files
- NOVA Transcriptions of City Archives Records
- Index to Deaths in the Daily Picayune, 1837-1857
- Index to the Justices of the Peace Marriage Records, 1846-1880
- New Orleans Newspaper Marriage Index, 1837-1857
- Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New Orleans
- Naturalization Records in New Orleans
- Birth Records for New Orleans
- Hints on Using the 1850 Census
- Hints on Using the 1860-1920 Censuses
- New Orleans City Directories
- African-American Genealogical Sources
- The following site nutrias.org/~nopl/inv/neh/nehab.htm#ab22 contains short descriptions of various city government charters for the City of New Orleans and provides an inventory of minutes, ordinances, and resolutions.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found