New YorkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| Welcome to New York,|
the Empire State
|Most unique genealogical features:|
New York Counties
|■ New York City Research incl. Bronx · Kings · Manhattan · Queens · Richmond|
Brooklyn Historical Society · Cornell University Library · Montgomery County Department of History and Archives · National Archives Northeast Region (New York City) · New England Historic Genealogical Society · New York City Department of Records and Information Services · New York Genealogical and Biographical Society · New York Historical Society · New York Public Library · New York State Archives · New York State Council of Genealogical Organizations · New York State Library · Stadsarchief Amsterdam (Amsterdam City Archives)
Ellis Island, Castle Garden, etc. · Atlantic Coast Ports · Lake Champlain · Lake Erie · Lake Ontario · Long Island Sound · Hudson River · Mowhawk River · St. Lawrence River · Chambly Canal · Champlain Canal · Delaware and Raritan Canal · Erie Canal · Albany Post Road · Catskill Turnpike · Forbidden Path · Great Genesee Road · Great Shamokin Path · Greenwood Road · Hudson River Path · King's Highway (or Boston Post Road) · Lake Champlain Trail · Lake Shore Path (or Lake Trail) · Lehigh and Lakawanna Paths · Minsi Path · Mohawk or Iroquois Trail · New York Turnpikes · Old Connecticut Path
Did You Know?
- There are more Irish in New York City than in Dublin, Ireland; more Italians in New York City than in Rome, Italy; and more Jews in New York City than in Tel Aviv, Israel.
- The Digital Collections of the New York States Archives includes Native American censuses covering the reservations of the Tuscarora, Oneida, Onondaga, Buffalo Creek Seneca, Seneca of Cattaragus, Cayuga, Tonawanda and St. Regis Mohawk tribes.
- Nearly one-third of all Revolutionary War battles took place in New York, including the battles of Long Island, Oriskany, Bennington, and Saratoga. During the Civil War, New York had 465,000 Union soldiers serve - more than any other state. For more information and resources on military records for New York, go to the New York Military Records page.
- The earliest European settlers were from the Netherlands.
- New York State Health Department Vital Records for obtaining births, marriages, and deaths outside New York City 1881-present; and all divorces after 1963; and adoption records.
- How to obtain copies of Vital Records for Genealogical Purposes in Upstate New York a blog article describing the use of microfiche indexes 1881-present in NY prior to ordering from the State Health Dept.
- Ellis Island Immigration Record Search New York City passenger arrival lists index 1892-1924. For a more advanced search engine helpful for east Europeans see Ellis Island in One Step.
- Castle Garden Immigration Index New York City passenger arrival lists index 1820-1892. For a more advanced search engine helpful for east Europeans see Castle Garden in One Step.
- New York Ancestors NEHGS's New York databases and articles about probate, census, tax, cemeteries, church, court, and vital records, genealogy and biography.
- New York Genealogical and Biographical Society Research Aids (for NYGBS members only) digitized New York Genealogical and Biographical Record (complete series), plus over 100 articles, bibliographies, and research tips.
- FultonHistory.com - New York State historical newspaper archives and search engine.
- New York Family History - Mostly New York City and Long Island links and addresses to churches, cemeteries, vital records, and societies.
- New York county creation dates and parent counties.
State Repository Links
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
Statewide vital records
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962 - FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935 - FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952 - FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980 - FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
Passenger arrival lists
- New York, New York, Index to Passenger Lists, 1820-1846 - FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
- New York, Northern Arrival Manifests, 1902-1956 - FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
- New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924 - FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
- New York, New York Passenger and Crew Lists, 1925-1942 - FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
Statewide probate records
Help Expand the Wiki
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by: