Newark, New JerseyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 02:58, 28 December 2012 by Jeniannj
|This New Jersey-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- Newark was originally formed as a township on October 31, 1693, based on the Newark Tract, which was first purchased on July 11, 1667.
- Newark was granted a Royal Charter on April 27, 1713, and was incorporated as one of New Jersey's initial 104 townships by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798. (Wikipedia)
- During its time as a township, portions were taken to form Springfield Township (April 14, 1794), Caldwell Township (February 16, 1798, now known as Fairfield Township), Orange Township (November 27, 1806), Bloomfield Township (March 23, 1812) and Clinton Township (April 14, 1834, remainder reabsorbed by Newark on March 5, 1902).
- Newark was reincorporated as a city on April 11, 1836, replacing Newark Township, based on the results of a referendum passed on March 18, 1836.
- The previously independent Vailsburg borough was annexed by Newark on January 1, 1905.
- Newark is divided into five wards; North Ward, South Ward, West Ward, East Ward, and Central Ward. (Wikipedia)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Newark
- Old Newark Web Group, an independent site (all about Newark and very rich in family information)
- Newark Genealogy (New Jersey Genealogy)
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News