Newchurch(Culcheth), Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
Line 21: Line 21:
 
"NEWCHURCH, '''''a parish''''' [church built by at least 1599], in the union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles south by west of Leigh, and 6 north by east from Warrington. This parish consists of the townships of Culcheth and Kenyon, which were separated from the parish of Winwick in 1845, and formed into a distinct rectory.   
 
"NEWCHURCH, '''''a parish''''' [church built by at least 1599], in the union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles south by west of Leigh, and 6 north by east from Warrington. This parish consists of the townships of Culcheth and Kenyon, which were separated from the parish of Winwick in 1845, and formed into a distinct rectory.   
  
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a Presbyterian chapel."<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 389-393.&amp;amp;nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 20 July 2010.</ref>
+
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a Presbyterian chapel."<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 389-393.&amp;amp;amp;nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 20 July 2010.</ref>
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 15:57, 16 July 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Newchurch church, Culcheth .jpg

Contents

Parish History

Newchurch is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1748 from Winwick, Lancashire Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Desfurlong, Holcroft, Kenyon, Bury Lane, Twiss Green, Wigshaw, and Risley

"NEWCHURCH in Culcheth a village and a parishin Leigh district, Lancashire. The village stands near Kenyon Junction r. station 3-1/2 miles S of Leigh; and has a post-office under Warrington.

The parish consists of the townships of Kenyon and Culcheth; contains the hamlets of Risley, Bury-Lane, Twiss-Green, Wigshaw, and Holcroft, and was formerly a chapelry of Winwick parish.

There is also a chapel of ease at Bury-Lane."[1]

The are chapels for Methodists here.

Here is an 1848 historical perspective from the topographer, Samuel A. Lewis on this parish:

"NEWCHURCH, a parish [church built by at least 1599], in the union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles south by west of Leigh, and 6 north by east from Warrington. This parish consists of the townships of Culcheth and Kenyon, which were separated from the parish of Winwick in 1845, and formed into a distinct rectory. 

There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a Presbyterian chapel."[2]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records

NEWCHURCH (CULCETH) PARISH (1599) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1599-1812 1607-1651; 1681-1751

None

LOPC 1695-1874 1541-1836 1541-1874
UKG  1541-1752 1541-1752  1541-1752 
LBMD None 1837-1965 None 
AC  1541-1752 1541-1752 1541-1752
Chapelry (1727) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1727-1912 1731-1754; 1808-1835 1727-1948
LOPC None None  None
LBMD None 1837-1900 None
Chapelry (18) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1813-1869 1813-1845  1836-1869
LOPC None None None
LBMD None None None
 Chapelry (1829) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 102 1837-
LOPC
FMP  None 167 None
LBMD None 1839-1974 None 
UKG    162  
Chapelry (1846) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS   15 i
LOPC
FMP  None 167 - part None
LBMD None 182 None 
UKG  162
 Chapelry (1) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS  
LOPC
FMP  None None
LBMD None None 
UKG   
Chapelry (1802) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS None None None 
LOPC
FMP  None None
LBMD None None 
UKG   
Chapelry (1) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS  
LOPC
FMP  None None
LBMD None None
UKG 
Chapelry (1) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS
LOPC
FMP  None None
LBMD None None 
UKG 


Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Newchurch (Culcheth)- (no dedication)
Baptisms Transcript-1599-1812- 929.3272 N1
Baptisms Transcript-1813-1841- MFE 929.342761 Ne(808) or F929.3272 N1
Burials Transcript-1607-1812- 929.3272 N1
Burials Transcript-1813-1841- MFE 929.342761 Ne(808) or F929.3272 N1
Marriages Transcript-1607-1751- 929.3272 N1
Marriages Transcript-1837-1841- Archives LPRS Transcript

For original registers of above please enquire at Lancashire Record Office.

Baptisms, 1788-1853; Burials, 1775-1848. FHL BRITISH Film 950393
Marriages, 1763-1845. FHL BRITISH Film 950394 Item 1

Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306898.

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Haslingden, Lancashire Poor Law Union

Leigh, Lancashire Poor Law Union from 1845

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, Vol.2., p. 433. By John Marius Wilson, London 1870.
  2. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 389-393.&amp;amp;nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 20 July 2010.