Newchurch(Culcheth), Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
[[Image:Newchurch_church,_Culcheth_.jpg|thumb|right|Newchurch]]<br>  
+
[[Image:Newchurch church, Culcheth .jpg|thumb|right]]<br>
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
Line 7: Line 7:
 
Newchurch is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1748 from&nbsp;[[Winwick, Lancashire]] Ancient Parish.  
 
Newchurch is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1748 from&nbsp;[[Winwick, Lancashire]] Ancient Parish.  
  
Other places in the parish include: Desfurlong, Holcroft, Kenyon, Bury Lane, Twiss Green, Wigshaw, and Risley<br>  
+
Other places in the parish include: Desfurlong, Holcroft, Kenyon, Bury Lane, Twiss Green, Wigshaw, and Risley<br>
  
NEWCHURCH in Culcheth a village and a parish in Leigh district, Lancashire. The village stands near Kenyon Junction r. station 3-1/2 miles S of Leigh; and has a post-office under Warrington.
+
NEWCHURCH in Culcheth a village and a parish in Leigh district, Lancashire. The village stands near Kenyon Junction r. station 3-1/2 miles S of Leigh; and has a post-office under Warrington.  
  
The parish consists of the townships of Kenyon and Culcheth; contains the hamlets of Risley, Bury-Lane, Twiss-Green, Wigshaw, and Holcroft, and was formerly a chapelry of Winwick parish.
+
The parish consists of the townships of Kenyon and Culcheth; contains the hamlets of Risley, Bury-Lane, Twiss-Green, Wigshaw, and Holcroft, and was formerly a chapelry of Winwick parish.  
  
Acres 6,958. Real property, £12,758. Pop. in 1851, 2,688, in 1861, 2,488. Houses, 499. The property is divided chiefly among four:-
+
Acres 6,958. Real property, £12,758. Pop. in 1851, 2,688, in 1861, 2,488. Houses, 499. The property is divided chiefly among four:-  
  
The manor of Culcheth, with Culcheth Hall, belongs to T.E. Withington, Esq. Kenyon House is the seat of R. Dewhurst, Esq.; New Brook House of J. Hartley, Esq.; and Ivy House, of M. Tomlinson, Esq.
+
The manor of Culcheth, with Culcheth Hall, belongs to T.E. Withington, Esq. Kenyon House is the seat of R. Dewhurst, Esq.; New Brook House of J. Hartley, Esq.; and Ivy House, of M. Tomlinson, Esq.  
  
The cotton manufacture is carried on, and bricks and tiles are made. Value, £240. Patron the Earl of Derby.
+
The cotton manufacture is carried on, and bricks and tiles are made. Value, £240. Patron the Earl of Derby.  
  
The church is old; comprises nave, aisle, chancel, and porch; and contains some brasses. There are a chapel of ease at Bury-Lane, chapels for Methodists, and national schools.
+
The church is old; comprises nave, aisle, chancel, and porch; and contains some brasses. There are a chapel of ease at Bury-Lane, chapels for Methodists, and national schools.  
  
From: The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, Vol.2., p. 433. By John Marius Wilson, London 1872.
+
From: ''The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales'', Vol.2., p. 433. By John Marius Wilson, London 1870.  
  
 
<br>
 
<br>
  
NEWCHURCH, a parish (church built by at least 1599], in the union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Leigh, and 6 (N. by E.) from Warrington; containing 2516 inhabitants. This parish consists of the townships of Culcheth and Kenyon, which were separated from the parish of Winwick in 1845, and formed into a distinct rectory. It comprises 6960 acres, of which the surface is undulated, and the soil partly clay and partly moss. The Bolton, Leigh, and Kenyon railway here joins the Liverpool and Manchester railway. The living is in the patronage of the Earl of Derby; but the next presentation will be exercised by the present Rector of Winwick, should a vacancy occur during his incumbency: there are above 30 acres of glebe, and a glebe-house. The tithes of Culcheth have been commuted for a rent-charge of £415, of which £345 are payable to an impropriator, and £70 to the rector of Newchurch; and those of Kenyon have been commuted for £160, the whole payable to the rector. The church is a plain brick building, with a tower at the west end.&nbsp;There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a Presbyterian chapel has an endowment of £70 per annum. Dr. Wilson, the eminent Bishop of Sodor and Man, was in early life curate of Newchurch, then a chapelry.  
+
NEWCHURCH, a parish (church built by at least 1599), in the union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Leigh, and 6 (N. by E.) from Warrington; containing 2516 inhabitants. This parish consists of the townships of Culcheth and Kenyon, which were separated from the parish of Winwick in 1845, and formed into a distinct rectory. It comprises 6960 acres, of which the surface is undulated, and the soil partly clay and partly moss. The Bolton, Leigh, and Kenyon railway here joins the Liverpool and Manchester railway. The living is in the patronage of the Earl of Derby; but the next presentation will be exercised by the present Rector of Winwick, should a vacancy occur during his incumbency: there are above 30 acres of glebe, and a glebe-house. The tithes of Culcheth have been commuted for a rent-charge of £415, of which £345 are payable to an impropriator, and £70 to the rector of Newchurch; and those of Kenyon have been commuted for £160, the whole payable to the rector. The church is a plain brick building, with a tower at the west end.&nbsp;There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a Presbyterian chapel has an endowment of £70 per annum. Dr. Wilson, the eminent Bishop of Sodor and Man, was in early life curate of Newchurch, then a chapelry.  
  
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 389-393. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51172 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
+
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 389-393. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51172 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 35: Line 35:
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
  
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>  
+
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>
  
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
Line 41: Line 41:
 
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
 
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
  
Newchurch (Culcheth)- (no dedication)<br>Baptisms Transcript-1599-1812- 929.3272 N1<br>Baptisms Transcript-1813-1841- MFE 929.342761 Ne(808) or F929.3272 N1<br>Burials Transcript-1607-1812- 929.3272 N1<br>Burials Transcript-1813-1841- MFE 929.342761 Ne(808) or F929.3272 N1<br>Marriages Transcript-1607-1751- 929.3272 N1<br>Marriages Transcript-1837-1841- Archives LPRS Transcript
+
Newchurch (Culcheth)- (no dedication)<br>Baptisms Transcript-1599-1812- 929.3272 N1<br>Baptisms Transcript-1813-1841- MFE 929.342761 Ne(808) or F929.3272 N1<br>Burials Transcript-1607-1812- 929.3272 N1<br>Burials Transcript-1813-1841- MFE 929.342761 Ne(808) or F929.3272 N1<br>Marriages Transcript-1607-1751- 929.3272 N1<br>Marriages Transcript-1837-1841- Archives LPRS Transcript  
  
For original registers of above please enquire at Lancashire Record Office.
+
For original registers of above please enquire at Lancashire Record Office.  
  
 
Baptisms, 1788-1853; Burials, 1775-1848. FHL BRITISH Film 950393 <br>Marriages, 1763-1845. FHL BRITISH Film 950394 Item 1 <br><br>
 
Baptisms, 1788-1853; Burials, 1775-1848. FHL BRITISH Film 950393 <br>Marriages, 1763-1845. FHL BRITISH Film 950394 Item 1 <br><br>
Line 51: Line 51:
 
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.  
 
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.  
  
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census<br>  
+
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census<br>
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
Line 57: Line 57:
 
[[Haslingden, Lancashire Poor Law Union]]  
 
[[Haslingden, Lancashire Poor Law Union]]  
  
[[Leigh, Lancashire Poor Law Union]] from 1845
+
[[Leigh, Lancashire Poor Law Union]] from 1845  
  
==== Probate records<br> ====
+
==== Probate records<br> ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
+
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
Line 74: Line 74:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>  
+
<br>
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 17:42, 4 March 2011

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Newchurch church, Culcheth .jpg

Contents

Parish History

Newchurch is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1748 from Winwick, Lancashire Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Desfurlong, Holcroft, Kenyon, Bury Lane, Twiss Green, Wigshaw, and Risley

NEWCHURCH in Culcheth a village and a parish in Leigh district, Lancashire. The village stands near Kenyon Junction r. station 3-1/2 miles S of Leigh; and has a post-office under Warrington.

The parish consists of the townships of Kenyon and Culcheth; contains the hamlets of Risley, Bury-Lane, Twiss-Green, Wigshaw, and Holcroft, and was formerly a chapelry of Winwick parish.

Acres 6,958. Real property, £12,758. Pop. in 1851, 2,688, in 1861, 2,488. Houses, 499. The property is divided chiefly among four:-

The manor of Culcheth, with Culcheth Hall, belongs to T.E. Withington, Esq. Kenyon House is the seat of R. Dewhurst, Esq.; New Brook House of J. Hartley, Esq.; and Ivy House, of M. Tomlinson, Esq.

The cotton manufacture is carried on, and bricks and tiles are made. Value, £240. Patron the Earl of Derby.

The church is old; comprises nave, aisle, chancel, and porch; and contains some brasses. There are a chapel of ease at Bury-Lane, chapels for Methodists, and national schools.

From: The Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, Vol.2., p. 433. By John Marius Wilson, London 1870.


NEWCHURCH, a parish (church built by at least 1599), in the union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Leigh, and 6 (N. by E.) from Warrington; containing 2516 inhabitants. This parish consists of the townships of Culcheth and Kenyon, which were separated from the parish of Winwick in 1845, and formed into a distinct rectory. It comprises 6960 acres, of which the surface is undulated, and the soil partly clay and partly moss. The Bolton, Leigh, and Kenyon railway here joins the Liverpool and Manchester railway. The living is in the patronage of the Earl of Derby; but the next presentation will be exercised by the present Rector of Winwick, should a vacancy occur during his incumbency: there are above 30 acres of glebe, and a glebe-house. The tithes of Culcheth have been commuted for a rent-charge of £415, of which £345 are payable to an impropriator, and £70 to the rector of Newchurch; and those of Kenyon have been commuted for £160, the whole payable to the rector. The church is a plain brick building, with a tower at the west end. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a Presbyterian chapel has an endowment of £70 per annum. Dr. Wilson, the eminent Bishop of Sodor and Man, was in early life curate of Newchurch, then a chapelry.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 389-393. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51172 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Newchurch (Culcheth)- (no dedication)
Baptisms Transcript-1599-1812- 929.3272 N1
Baptisms Transcript-1813-1841- MFE 929.342761 Ne(808) or F929.3272 N1
Burials Transcript-1607-1812- 929.3272 N1
Burials Transcript-1813-1841- MFE 929.342761 Ne(808) or F929.3272 N1
Marriages Transcript-1607-1751- 929.3272 N1
Marriages Transcript-1837-1841- Archives LPRS Transcript

For original registers of above please enquire at Lancashire Record Office.

Baptisms, 1788-1853; Burials, 1775-1848. FHL BRITISH Film 950393
Marriages, 1763-1845. FHL BRITISH Film 950394 Item 1

Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Haslingden, Lancashire Poor Law Union

Leigh, Lancashire Poor Law Union from 1845

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.