Newchurch in Rossendale, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
NEWCHURCH-in-Rossendale-Forest, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Whalley, union of Haslingden, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Haslingden; containing, with the hamlets of Deadwin-Clough, Tunstead, and Wolfenden, and part of the consolidated chapelry of Bacup, 11,668 inhabitants. The name of Rossendale is probably formed from the British word Rhos, expressive of the dusky colour of the heath grass. In the 4th of Edward II. the Forest or Chase was divided into eleven vaccaries, or cow-pastures, of which the herbage was valued at 10s. for each: in the reign of Henry VII. the number of vaccaries, or booths, had increased to nineteen, of which the herbage was estimated at advanced rents, varying from 13s. to £13. Like the vaccaries of Pendle, these booths were the foundations of townships; the township of "Dedquene-Cloghe," now Deadwin-Clough, contains the village of Newchurch. The length of the chapelry is five miles, and its breadth three; it comprises 5726 acres, and consists of three valleys, with their corresponding elevations. Although the hills are high, and naturally sterile, modern improvements, cherished by manufacturing prosperity, have carried cultivation to their summits; the arable land is about a fifth of the whole. The chapelry is watered on the south by the Irwell, which, rising at the foot of Dirplay Hill, in Cliviger, descends to Bacup by Broadclough, and passing Wolfenden runs by Tottington to Bury. At the head of Wolfenden rises Whitewell brook, which empties itself into the Irwell below the village of Newchurch. Coal-mines, and quarries of freestone, slate, &c., abound in the chapelry; and cotton and woollen goods are manufactured to a considerable extent, in their various branches. A fair for cattle is held on April 29th, and one for clothing and pedlery on the first Monday after the 24th of June. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £231; patron, the Vicar of Whalley. The chapel was originally built in 1512, and was the first place of worship erected in Rossendale Forest; in 1825 it was rebuilt, partly at the cost of the parishioners and partly by a government grant. It is in the pointed style of architecture, with lancet windows, and a handsome tower; the interior, which is light and substantial, consists of a nave, aisles, and choir. There are churches at Lumb and Tunstead; and the Wesleyans, Baptists, Unitarians, and other dissenters, have places of worship. A free grammar school was founded in 1701 by John Kershaw, who endowed it with lands situated in Heald, in Bacup; and there are large national schools. Newdigate (St. Peter)
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 389-393. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51172 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.