Newton County, Indiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Newton County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Newton County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 7, 1835|
|Address|| Newton County Courthouse|
PO Box 49
Kentland, IN 47951
1835--Newton County was created 7 February 1835 from unorganized territory.
County seat: Kentland 
Lake Village, IN
Mount Ayr, IN
Sumava Resorts, IN
Beaver City Cemetery (Aka: Smith Cemetery)
Buswell Cemetery, Kentland (Aka: Mount Zion)
Fairlawn Cemetery, Kentland
Goodland Cemetery, Goodland
Lake Village Cemetery, Lake Village (Aka: Lake Township Cemetery)
Morgan Cemetery (Aka: Tracey Cemetery)
Morocco Cemetery, Morocco
Mount Calvary, Goodland
Murphy Cemetery, Morocco (Aka: West Cemetery)
North Star Cemetery, Mount Ayr
Oakland Cemetery, Morocco (Aka: North Cemetery)
Pleasant Grove Cemetery
Porter Cemetery, Morocco
Prairie Vine Cemetery, Morocco
Riverside Cemetery, Brook
Roselawn Cemetery, Roselawn (Aka: Lincoln Township Cemetery)
Russell Chapel Cemetery
Saint Josephs Cemetery, Kentland
Sell Cemetery, Brook
Saints Peter & Paul Cemetery, Goodland
For tips on accessing Newton County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Newton County (1880) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Early Settlers of Newton County (1831-1859) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
Newton County Courthouse
201 N. 3rd Street
PO Box 49
Kentland, Indiana 47951
Assessor, Clerk, Recorder, Treasurer and Circuit & Superior Court: Criminal & Court Records, Civil, Small Claims, Probate
- Directory of Businesses in Newton County, Indiana (1884) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- Every Name Index to Counties of Warren, Benton, Jasper and Newton, Indiana. Every Name Index compiled by Cathy L. O'Connor, 2008; original text by F. A. Battey Co., 1883; reproduction of Unigraphic, Inc., 1973.EveryNameIndex.com
- F.A. Battey Co. Counties of Warren, Benton, Jasper and Newton, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. (Chicago: F.A. Battey & Co, 2008.) also (Digital images of original published: Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1994. viii, 810 p.: ill., ports.28 cm. The original is a reprint. It was originally published: Chicago: F.A. Battey, 1883.) FHL Collection Digital versions at FamilySearch Books Online other library Internet Archive
- Biographical history of Tippecanoe, White, Jasper, Newton, Benton, Warren and Pulaski counties, (Indiana. 2003. La Crosse WI: Brookhaven Press.) FHL US/CAN Film 1731988 FHL Collectionother libraryvol.1Google books vol.2 Google books
Land and Property
Civil War service men from Newton County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Newton County.
- 9th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company G
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company K
- 51st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company B
- 99th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company E
- 128th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
Civil War Books
- "Newton County in the War" in F.A. Battey Co. Counties of Warren, Benton, Jasper and Newton, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. (Chicago: F.A. Battey & Co, 2008.) also (Digital images of original published: Mt. Vernon, IN: Windmill Publications, 1994. viii, 810 p.ill., ports.28 cm. The original is a reprint. It was originally published: Chicago: F.A. Battey, 1883.)page 685-955, FHL CollectionDigital Versions at FamilySearch Books Online other library Internet Archive
World War I
World War II
Newton County Courthouse
Courthouse Sq; PO Box 49
Kentland, IN 47951
Attached to St. Joseph, Warren and White Counties
before re-creation & organization from Jasper County 8 Dec 1859.
County Clerk has marriage, divorce,
probate and court records from 1860.
County Health Department has birth and death
records from 1882.
County Recorder has land records from 1860. 
Family History Centers
- Directory of Teachers (1936) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Indiana State Digital Archives for Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992-FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959-FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920-FamilySearch
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- IMG class=FCK__MWTemplate src="https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/extensions/FCKeditor/fckeditor/editor/images/spacer.gif" _fckfakelement="true" _fckrealelement="2" _fck_mw_template="true">
- Newton County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History(Linkpendium)
- EveryNameIndex.comFree online genealogy indexes for those big old county histories.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Newton County, Indiana 215 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News