Ninety-Six District, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
History and Tidbits
Ninety-Six District formed 1769 from the South Carolina lands. Districts and counties were formed from the district: Abbeville 12 March 1785, Edgefield 2 March 1785, Greenville 22 March 1786, Laurens 12 March 1785, Newberry 12 March 1785, Pendleton 1789, Pinckney 20 December 1826, Spartanburg 12 March 1785, Union 12 March 1785.
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide: Ninety-Six District, available online, courtesy: South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- Sarrett, Paul R. 1779 Census Ninety-Six District, South Carolina, available online, courtesy: USGenWeb Archives.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Butler] Jervey, Theodore D. "The Butlers of South Carolina," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 4, No. 4 (Oct. 1903). FHL Book 929.273 B976dj; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Drake] Drake, Charles E. "The Drake Family of Ninety Six District and Abbeville County, South Carolina," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 29, No. 4 (Fall 2001):183-195. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 29
The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Ninety-Sixth District land records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
- Ninety-Sixth District Land Plats, Vol. A: 1784-1794
- Ninety-Sixth District Land Plats, Vol. B: 1785-1787
- Ninety-Sixth District Land Plats, Vol. C: 1786-1788
- First Settlers of South Carolina, 1670-80, by Agnes L. Baldwin; pub. Columbia, South Carolina, 1969
- Inventory of County Archives of South Carolina, 14 vol., Historical Records Survey; pub. Columbia, South Carolina, 1937-1941
- Research Materials in South Carolina, by John H. Moore; pub. Columbia, South Carolina, 1967
- Bibliography of South Carolina, 1563-1950, 6 vol., Robert C. Turnbull; pub. Charlottesville, Virgina 1956-1960
- The History of South Carolina, 4 vol., David D. Wallace; pub. New York, 1934