Ninety-Six District, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
In 1768 South Carolina replaced all of her previous counties with seven court districts including the newly organized area of Ninety-Six District northwest of the previous counties. In 1785 South Carolina created six subordinate counties within the overarching Ninety-Six District:
In 1800 South Carolina abolished all her overarching districts including Ninety-Six District, Washington District, and Pinckney District. However, the remaining counties were often called districts as late as 1868.
For documents of people who lived in this area from 1768 to 1800, look in:
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide: Ninety-Six District, available online, courtesy: South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- Sarrett, Paul R. 1779 Census Ninety-Six District, South Carolina, available online, courtesy: USGenWeb Archives.
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Butler] Jervey, Theodore D. "The Butlers of South Carolina," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 4, No. 4 (Oct. 1903). FHL Book 929.273 B976dj; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Drake] Drake, Charles E. "The Drake Family of Ninety Six District and Abbeville County, South Carolina," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 29, No. 4 (Fall 2001):183-195. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 29
The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Ninety-Sixth District land records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
- Ninety-Sixth District Land Plats, Vol. A: 1784-1794
- Ninety-Sixth District Land Plats, Vol. B: 1785-1787
- Ninety-Sixth District Land Plats, Vol. C: 1786-1788
Ninety Six District, South Carolina, This is a great site that has maps and a history of the District.
- First Settlers of South Carolina, 1670-80, by Agnes L. Baldwin; pub. Columbia, South Carolina, 1969
- Inventory of County Archives of South Carolina, 14 vol., Historical Records Survey; pub. Columbia, South Carolina, 1937-1941
- Research Materials in South Carolina, by John H. Moore; pub. Columbia, South Carolina, 1967
- Bibliography of South Carolina, 1563-1950, 6 vol., Robert C. Turnbull; pub. Charlottesville, Virgina 1956-1960
- The History of South Carolina, 4 vol., David D. Wallace; pub. New York, 1934
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "A History of Ninety-Six District" in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/ninety_six_district_sc.html (accessed 9 May 2011).
- ↑ "South Carolina Districts and Parishes 1770" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_districts_parishes_1770.html (accessed 7 May 2011).