Noble County, Indiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Noble County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Noble County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 7, 1835|
|Address|| Noble County Courthouse|
101 N Orange Street
Albion, IN 46701-1097
1843 and 1859 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
- Augusta Cemetery
- Gragg Cemetery
- Lower/Lauer Cemetery
- Port Mitchell Cemetery
- Sanford Cemetery
- Wolf Lake Cemetery Genealogy Center
- Wolf Lake Cemetery BillionGraves
- The Indiana Genealogical Society has many free indexes to Noble County cemeteries.
For tips on accessing Noble County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Morality Schedule for Noble County, Indiana (1860) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Noble County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
For more information about these major repositories, see Indiana Church Records.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- Counties of La Grange and Noble, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. (Salem, Mass: Higginson Book Co, 1993.) 977.27 H2c FHL US/CAN Book other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Alvord, Samuel E., Alvord's history of Noble County, Indiana: to which is appended a comprehensive compendium of local biography - memoirs of representative men and women of the county, whose works of merit have made their names imperishable, (Reprint. Originally published: Logansport, Indiana: B. F. Bowen, Publisher, 1902. 602, 53 p. leaves. ill., facsims., ports.)977.276 H2a FHL US/CAN Book INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Goodspeed, Weston Arthur, and Charles Blanchard. 1970.Counties of Whitley and Noble, Indiana: historical and biographical, illustrated. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic, inc.) 977.27 H2g FHL US/CAN Book other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVES Digital Version at FamilySearch Books Online
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
After land was transferred from the government to private ownership, subsequent transactions were recorded at the courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Civil War service men from Noble County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Noble County.
- 7th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies B, C, D, I, and M
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies B, and I
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized B, and C
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized C, and F
- 20th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company C
- 30th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies C, F, and Reorganized Companies D, and E
- 44th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 74th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 88th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, and D
- 100th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company E
- 129th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B,C, D, and I
- 139th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company D
- 142nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, G, and D
- 152nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, C, F, and E
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Civil War Book
- "The First Call for Troops" in Counties of La Grange and Noble, Indiana: Historical and Biographicall. (Salem, Mass: Higginson Book Co, 1993.) 977.27 H2c FHL US/CAN Book page 89-116,FHL Collection other library INTERNET ARCHIVE
World War I
World War II
See Indiana Land and Property for additional information about early Indiana land grants and patents.
101 N Orange Street
Albion, IN 46701-1097
County Health Department has birth and death records.
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate
and court records from 1859.
County Auditor has land records
City Clerk has burial records. 
Family History Centers
The main FamilySearch Center for Noble County, Indiana Genealogy is the
For additional nearby Family History Centers, search online in the [Family History Center directory].
Indiana tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties.
For more information see the wiki page Indiana Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Indiana law in 1882 required registration of births and deaths in counties. The Indiana Department of Health has birth records filed after October 1907 and death records filed after January 1900 for deaths. Copies may be obtained from the county health department or the Indiana State Division of Vital Records. See also How to order Indiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
Marriage licenses were required by counties beginning in 1800. Original marriage records are held at the office of the Noble County, Indiana Genealogy County Clerk with divorce records located with the Noble County, Indiana Genealogy Clerk of Courts.
- Noble County Vital Records Site.This site includes Divorces, Obituaries, Biographies, Guardianship, Probate Index, Births, Deaths, Marriages, School Records, Military, Cemeteries, Settlers, Census, Neighbors, and Wills Index.
- Indiana State Digital Archives for Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992-FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959-FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920-FamilySearch
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Noble County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Noble County, Indiana 215 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.