Norfolk, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
This page is about the independent city in Virginia. For the county see Norfolk County, Virginia.
United States > Virginia > Norfolk (Independent City)
- [Sweny] Henkel, Steve. "Murder in the Family: Identifying the Parents and Siblings of George Wythe Sweny, Murderer of His Great-Uncle, George Wythe, Chancellor of Virginia," The American Genealogist, Vol. 78, No. 2 (April 2003):87-94.
- [Willoughby] Captain Thomas Willoughby 1601-1657 : of England, Barbadoes and lower Norfolk County, Virginia : some of his descendents 1601-1800 (1978)
- Walter, Alice Granbery. Map of Norfolk Town & Vicinity, 1682, Norfolk Borough 1736. 1972. FHL Books 975.5521 E7w no. 1-no. 2 and supp..
Since Norfolk was created in 1845, the Civil War records for the men of this area will usually be found in the city records, rather than county records.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Norfolk.
Indexed images of the Virginia Gazette (1736-1780) are available online through the Colonial Williamsburg website. In addition, Professor Tom Costa and The Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia have created a database of all runaway advertisements for slaves, indentured servants, transported convicts, and ship deserters listed in this source and other Virginia newspapers (1736-1803), see: The Geography of Slavery in Virginia. These newspapers are valuable resources for all regions of Virginia.
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. Available at FHL. [Includes a section on Norfolk silversmiths.]
A free index to Norfolk, Virginia wills and administrations (1784-1800) is available at the Library of Virginia website.
- [1789, 1798] Indexed images of the 1789 and 1798 Personal Property Tax Lists of Norfolk, Virginia are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Norfolk is included in Vol. 3.]
- Tucker, George Holbert. Abstracts from Norfolk City Marriage Bonds [1797-1850]. [Norfolk, Va.?]: William H. Delaney, 1934. Available at FHL; digital version at World Vital Records ($).
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 7 August 2012).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News