Norfolk (old) County, Massachusetts GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Haverhill (now in Essex County, Massachusetts including present-day towns of Haverhill, Methuen, and the northern part of Lawrence in Massachusetts, and Atkinson, Hampstead, Plaistow, and part of Salem in New Hampshire)
- Salisbury (now in Essex County, Massachusetts including present-day towns of Salisbury (or Colchester), Amesbury, and Merrimac in Massachusetts, and Newton, South Hampton, and part of Seabrook in New Hampshire)
- Exeter (now in Rockingham County, New Hampshire including present-day towns of Exeter, Brentwood, Epping, Fremont, Newmarket, and South Newmarket)
- Hampton (now in Rockingham County, New Hampshire including present-day towns of Hampton, Danville, Hampton Falls, Kensington, Kingston, East Kingston, North Hampton, and parts of Rye and Seabrook)
- Portsmouth (now in Rockingham County, New Hampshire including present-day towns of Portsmouth (or Strawberry-bank), Greenland, New Castle, and part of Rye)
- Dover (now in Strafford County, New Hampshire including present-day towns of Dover (or Cocheco) and Stratham)
Old Norfolk County was discontinued 22 January 1679/1680 when the Province of New Hampshire was formed.
Records. Land deeds 1639-1678 of the old Norfolk County and her towns are housed at the Essex County Registry of Deeds in Salem, Massachusetts. These deeds were abstracted and published as part of:
- "Old Norfolk County Records," Essex Antiquarian 1, no. 2 (February 1897): 19-24 continued in additional issues. Each volume indexed. Part of NEHGS American Ancestors Search. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Film 599729 Item 2+; Book 974.45 B2a.
- Essex Society of Genealogists (Lynnfield, Massachusetts), Essex County deeds 1639-1678 : abstracts of volumes 1-4, copy books, Essex County, Massachusetts (Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 2003). At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974.45 R28e. Includes a fullname index.