North Rode, Cheshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
North Rode St. Michael's became a parish Including the hamlets of Ethels Green and Rode Heath. It was created within the Ancient parish of Prestbury, Cheshire, The church in North Rode was built in 1845 by C. & J. Trubshaw.
Translated from Latin it reads:
The same BIGOT holds RODO. BERNULF held it, and was a free man. There is half a hide rateable to the gelt. The land is ii. carucates. It was waste, and so found. In KING EDWARD'S time it was worth viii. shillings. There is a wood i. league long and half a league broad.
BIGOT held many estates before it passed into the hands of the lords of Aldford.
The Mainwarings of Warmingham, and their successors the Trussels held the manor.
It passed to the Trussels in the first year of Edward II through a fine levied by William Trussel junior and Matild his wife.
This Matild was Agnes Mainwaring's daughter.
When William Trussel junior died Matild married sir Oliver de Burghall (Bourdeaux).
In Edward II thirteenth year the Prince of Wales granted to Matild and Oliver the right to enclose and cultivate the wastes in their manor of Rode.
It passed through sons of Trussel to William who had a protection (in the thirty-third year of Edward III) from the king whilst he fought abroad in the retinue of Edward prince of Wales.
This William son of John was knighted and was the last male heir. During his lifetime he took out of Northrode £10 annually for two chaplains to celebrate divine service, at the parish church of Warmingham for the souls of William Trussell and his ancestors, and for the souls of all the faithful departed.
In the forty-ninth year of Edward III's reign Thomas de Arden held the manor of Northrode.
Sir William Trussell of Cubleston knight, held, inter alia, the manor of Northrode from Sir Thomas by military service.
More Trussells held the manor from the Aldefords and them the Stanleys until one Elizabeth Trussell, sister and heir, aged 10 in the twenty-second year of Henry VII. She later married the earl of Oxford (Veres).
The Veres passed it onto sir Christopher Hatton and from his representatives to the Crewes of Crewe.
Having descended to John lord Crewe was by him sold (C.1808) to Michael Daintry son of Rev. John Daintry vicar of Leek.
Upon Michael's decease it descended to his son (1811) John Smith Daintry [sheriff of Cheshire 1825] died 1848 passed to his son the rev. John Daintry.
It succeeded to his brother and heir George Smith Daintry who died leaving it to his son John Daintry in 1881.
The estate was sold in 1923 with many tenants buying their properties before the auction at "The Crewe Arms Hotel" Crewe on the 16th day of April, 1923 at 2.30 p.m.
North Rode, St. Michael (C of E). The parish church for North Rode since 1846. Registers of Baptisms and Burials 1846–2004 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office. Later registers (including Marriages from 1846) are still at the church.
Bishop's Transcripts Chapelry (later a parish) in Prestbury parish. Cheshire Record Office Reference: EDB 159 Baptisms, 1846-1847, burials, 1846, baptisms, burials, 1847-1848, baptisms, 1849-1850, burials, 1849-1853, baptisms, 1851-1853, burials, 1854-1861, baptisms, 1854-1861, baptisms, burials, 1879-1889. FHL BRITISH Film 1647668 Item 1
Poor Law Unions
- Macclesfield (1837–98)
- Cheshire East (post 1998)
Registration events may be searched online at Cheshire BMD
Maps and Gazetteers
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News