Ohio County, West Virginia
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 19:||Line 19:|
== County Courthouse ==
== County Courthouse ==
Ohio County <br>1500 Chapline , <br>Wheeling, WV 26003-3553 <br>Phone: (304) 234-3656
County Clerk has birth and death 1853Marriage from 1793Probate from 1777Land from 1778Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records from 1884<ref name=""/>
== History ==
== History ==
Revision as of 16:50, 25 May 2012
- This article is about a northern county of West Virginia. For other uses, see Ohio (disambiguation).
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Ohio County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
Ohio County Courthouse
1500 Chapline Street,
Wheeling, WV 26003-3553
Phone: (304) 234-3656
County Clerk has birth and death 1853
Marriage from 1793
Probate from 1777
Land from 1778
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records from 1884
Ohio County was part of Yohogania County, West Virginia before most of that county went to Pennsylvania in 1776.
See an interactive map of Ohio County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Find a Grave for Ohio County, West Virginia
For tips on accessing Ohio County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
- [Craft] Craft, Kenneth Fischer. "The Craft Family in America," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 4, No. 20 (Apr. 1981):43-45; Vol. 4, No. 21 (June 1981):36-39. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 4 (1981).
Regiments. Service men in Ohio County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Ohio County supplied soldiers for the:
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Book 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Ohio County on page 135.]
War of 1812
Ohio County men served in the 4th Regiment.
Civil War service men from Ohio County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Ohio County.
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. FHL. [Includes a section on Wheeling silversmiths.]
Ohio County, West Virginia Will Books 1777 1947
-  Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. FHL. [The source of this publication is the 1787 personal property tax list. Ohio County is included in Vol. 2.]
-  Indexed images of the 1790 Personal Property Tax List of Ohio County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Images of the 1802 Personal Property Tax Lists of Ohio County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available to browse online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. FHL Book 975 E4w v. 6. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Ohio County is included in Vol. 6.]
- West Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1928
- West Virginia Births, 1853-1930
- West Virginia Births, digital images available
- West Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1854-1932
- West Virginia Deaths, 1853-1970
- West Virginia Deaths, digital images available
- West Virginia Marriages, 1853-1970
- West Virginia Marriages, 1854-1932
- West Virgina Marriages, digital images available
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Ohio County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Ohio County, West Virginia. Page 745 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ E.M. Sanchez-Saavedra, A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations in the American Revolution, 1774-1787 (Richmond, Va.: Virginia State Library, 1978), 69. FHL Book 975.5 M2s.
- ↑ Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 163. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.