Ohio County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about a northern county of West Virginia. For other uses, see Ohio (disambiguation).
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
1776--Ohio County was created 7 October 1776 from District of West Augusta.
County seat: Wheeling 
Ohio County was part of Yohogania County, West Virginia before most of that county went to Pennsylvania in 1776.
Places / Localities
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. Available at FHL. [Includes a section on Wheeling silversmiths.]
-  Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. Available at FHL. [The source of this publication is the 1787 personal property tax list. Ohio County is included in Vol. 2.]
-  Indexed images of the 1790 Personal Property Tax List of Ohio County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Images of the 1802 Personal Property Tax Lists of Ohio County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available to browse online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Ohio County is included in Vol. 6.]
Societies and Libraries
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More