Ohio County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Ohio County, West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- This article is about a northern county of West Virginia. For other uses, see Ohio (disambiguation).
|Ohio County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||October 7, 1776|
|Address|| Ohio County Courthouse|
1500 Chapline Street,
Wheeling, WV 26003-3553
Phone: (304) 234-3656
County Clerk has birth and death 1853
Marriage from 1793
Probate from 1777
Land from 1778
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records from 1884
Ohio County was part of Yohogania County, West Virginia before most of that county went to Pennsylvania in 1776.
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in West Virginia counties see: West Virginia Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
- Find a Grave for Ohio County, West Virginia
For tips on accessing Ohio County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
Early Baptist churches (with years constituted):
- Short Creek (1802)
The 10,000 name petition (dated 16 October 1776) has been digitized at the Library of Congress website. It was signed by people from all over Virginia who wanted an end to persecution of Baptists by the Established Church. Baptists and Baptist sympathizers alike signed the petition. To find your ancestor in this record, first check Hall's transcription in the Magazine of Virginia Genealogy (Vols. 35-38, with annotations in Vol. 39), which is available online at Ancestry ($). It is also available in book form at the Family History Library: FHL Book 975.5 B2vs v. 35-39. Then proceed to the Library of Congress website to see the original images.
Ohio County fell within the bounds of the Red Stone Association.
Early monthly meetings (with years of existence):
- Wheeling Monthly Meeting (1789-1823) aka Head of Wheeling
- Ohio County Directories, 1888-93 at Ancestry.com ($)
- [Beeler] Pappas, Carolyn H. "Christopher Beeler, 1705-1775," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 43, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1999):243-255; Vol. 44, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2000):18-30; Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):115-125. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Craft] Craft, Kenneth Fischer. "The Craft Family in America," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 4, No. 20 (Apr. 1981):43-45; Vol. 4, No. 21 (June 1981):36-39. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 4 (1981).
- [Dulin] Boss, Lula Reed. "Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Mason County, Kentucky," The Kentucky Genealogist, Vol. 10, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1968):25-33.
- History of the Upper Ohio Valley Vol 1 FamilySearch Books Online
- History of the Upper Ohio Valley Vol 2 FamilySearch Books Online
Regiments. Service men in Ohio County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Ohio County supplied soldiers for the:
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Book 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Ohio County on page 135.]
War of 1812
Ohio County men served in the 4th Regiment.
Civil War service men from Ohio County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Ohio County.
- - 1st Regiment, West Virginia Cavalry
- - 1st Regiment, West Virginia Infantry, Companies A, B, C, E, and K.
- - 1st Regiment, West Virginia Light Artillery, Battery A Light Artillery.
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. FHL. [Includes a section on Wheeling silversmiths.]
Ohio County, West Virginia Will Books 1777 1947
-  Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. FHL. [The source of this publication is the 1787 personal property tax list. Ohio County is included in Vol. 2.]
-  Indexed images of the 1790 Personal Property Tax List of Ohio County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Images of the 1802 Personal Property Tax Lists of Ohio County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available to browse online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. FHL Book 975 E4w v. 6. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Ohio County is included in Vol. 6.]
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
. Includes marriages 1790-1970 - free.
- West Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1928
- West Virginia Births, 1853-1930
- West Virginia Births, digital images available
- West Virginia Marriages, 1853-1970
- West Virginia Marriages, 1854-1932
- West Virgina Marriages, digital images available
- West Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1854-1932
- West Virginia Deaths, 1853-1970
- West Virginia Deaths, digital images available
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Ohio County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Ohio County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Ohio County, West Virginia. Page 745 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Robert Baylor Semple and George William Beale, A History of the Rise and Progress of the Baptists in Virginia (1810; reprint, Richmond, Va.: Pitt and Dickinson, 1894), 438. Digital version at Google Books.
- ↑ Jay Worrall, The Friendly Virginians: America's First Quakers (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Publishing Company, 1994), 537-539. FHL Book 975.5 K2wj.
- ↑ E.M. Sanchez-Saavedra, A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations in the American Revolution, 1774-1787 (Richmond, Va.: Virginia State Library, 1978), 69. FHL Book 975.5 M2s.
- ↑ Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 163. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.
- ↑ Lowell Reidenbaugh, 27th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1993). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 90.
- This page was last modified on 13 April 2015, at 19:47.
- This page has been accessed 15,851 times.