From FamilySearch Wiki
(→Genealogical Societies: Added information and a link)
|Line 75:||Line 75:|
Revision as of 20:41, 7 December 2009
There are many societies which may help family historians. Genealogical, historical, lineage, veterans, and ethnic societies are especially helpful because of the records and resources they collect, transcribe, and publish. Often their records contain birth, marriage, death, and biographical information. See "Societies". Archives and Libraries are carefully contributed to and maintained by various Societies.
Genealogical and historical societies often maintain a genealogical file for families in the area and may sponsor publications, some of which are cited in the "Genealogy" section of this outline. Many counties have their own Genealogical Societies.
One important society in Ohio is the Ohio Genealogical Society (see the "Archives and Libraries" page). The Ohio Genealogical Society has a number of chapters throughout the state. Many chapters actively extract and index original records, which the society publishes.
- African American Genealogical Society
Cleveland, Ohio 44120
- Blair Society for Genealogical Research
726 Falling Oaks Dr.
Medina, OH 44256-2778
Website: Blair Society For Genealogical Research
- East Cuyahoga County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 24182
Lyndhurst, OH 44124-0182
Website: East Cuyahoga County Genealogical Society
- Darke County Genealogy Society
P.O. Box 908
Greenville, OH 45331
Website: Darke County Genealogy Society
- Franklin County Genealogical & Historical Society
P.O. Box 44309
Columbus, OH 43204-0309
Website: Franklin County Genealogical & Historical Society
- Genealogy by Computer Society
c/o Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
325 Michigan St.
Toledo, Ohio 43604
Website: Genealogy by Computer Society
- Genealogical Speakers Guild
P.O. Box 38314
Olmsted Falls, OH 44138-0314
Website: Genealogy Speakers Guild
- Greater Cleveland Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 40234
Cleveland, OH 44140-0254
Website: The Greater Cleveland Genealogical Society
- Logan County Genealogical Society
521 East Columbus Avenue
P.O. Box 36
Bellefontaine, OH 43311-0036
Website: Logan County Genealogical Society
- Ohio Genealogical Society
713 S. Main ST.
Mansfield, OH 44907-1644
Website: Ohio Genealogical Society
- Ohio Cemetery Preservation Society
P.O. Box 24810
Lyndhurst, OH 44124-0810
Website: Ohio Cemetery Preservation Society
- Toledo Area Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 352258
Toledo, OH 43635-2258
Website: Toledo Area Genealogical Society
- Ohio Historical Society
1982 Velma Ave.
Columbus, OH 43211
Website: Ohio Historical Society
- Western Reserve Historical Society
10825 E. Boulevard
Cleveland, OH 44106
Website: Western Reserve Historical Society
A Lineage society is an organization whose members have shown proof of their descent from a qualifying ancestor such as a colonist or soldier. There are early settlers, ethnic, religious, and war societies. The Hereditary Society Blue Book is the annual Who's Who or Social Register of Hereditary, Lineage, and Patriotic societies. It also contains information on lineage societies, including the insignia, the membership requirements, and the national address of each organization. Books, articles, and publications that can be very helpful in genealogical research are kept by these societies. The applications for membership in these societies are preserved, and many are on microfilm at the Family History Library. See the Register of U. S. Lineage Societies (mentioned in the "Societies"), for lists of microfilmed records, and publications. Hundreds of organizations are in the United States, here are some with Ohio ties:
- Celtic Society of Southeastern Ohio
- Colonial Dames
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR)
- Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War 1861-1865
- First Families of Ohio Ancestors from Cuyahoga, Geauga, and Lake Counties
- German-American Citizens League is an umbrella association of 27 organizations in the Ohio Valley, with the common bond of interest in German-American heritage and culture.
- General Society of Mayflower Descendants
- Ohio Society of the Order of Founders and Patriots of America
- Ohio Society of the War of 1812
- Ohio State Society Of The National Society United States Daughters of 1812
- Scottish American Society
- Sons of the American Revolution
- Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War Department of Ohio includes camp histories.
Family History Library Helps
- See the "Author/Title Search" of the Family History Library Catalog for many sources published by the Ohio Genealogical Society. There are, for example, birth, marriage, death and cemetery records; censuses (state and federal); newspaper obituaries; probates; city directories; adoption records; county assessors’ books; indexes to scrapbooks; and church records.
- For Ohio genealogical and historical societies which have records and services to help you with your research, see Ohio Archives and Libraries, Ohio Church Records, and Ohio Periodicals. Many counties also have local historical and genealogical societies. You can find local society addresses by using directories cited in the United States Societies.
- See also the "Archives and Libraries" section of this outline for other organizations with family history sources.
- Some societies generate unpublished indexes of local records, genealogies, cemetery transcriptions and other records. Some may publish lists of members, yearbooks, ancestor lists, or surname indexes which may be listed in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
- OHIO, [COUNTY] - SOCIETIES
- OHIO, [COUNTY] - GENEALOGY
- OHIO, [COUNTY] - SOCIETIES
- Geneasearch has links to Maryland Genealogical and Historical Societies.
- D'Addezio's Society Hill is a directory of historical societies in Ohio.
- Organizations of Interest covering the areas of
- ↑ Hereditary Society Blue Book (1994), edited by Robert R. Davenport (The Family History Librarybook, FHL US/CAN Film 1697831 Item 4. ISBN 0806313986, 9780806313986
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback