Ohio SocietiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
There are many societies which may help family historians. Genealogical, historical, lineage, veterans, and ethnic societies are especially helpful because of the records and resources they collect, transcribe, and publish. Often their records contain birth, marriage, death, and biographical information. See "Societies". Archives and Libraries are carefully contributed to and maintained by various Societies.
Genealogical and historical societies often maintain a genealogical file for families in the area and may sponsor publications, some of which are cited in the "Genealogy" section of this outline. Many counties have their own Genealogical Societies.
- Blair Society for Genealogical Research
726 Falling Oaks Dr.
Medina, OH 44256-2778
Internet: Blair Society For Genealogical Research
- East Cuyahoga County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 24182
Lyndhurst, OH 44124-0182
Internet: East Cuyahoga County Genealogical Society
- Darke County Genealogy Society
P.O. Box 908
Greenville, OH 45331
Internet: Darke County Genealogy Society
- Franklin County Genealogical & Historical Society
P.O. Box 44309
Columbus, OH 43204-0309
Internet: Franklin County Genealogical & Historical Society
- Genealogy by Computer Society
c/o Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
325 Michigan St.
Toledo, Ohio 43604
- Genealogical Speakers Guild
P.O. Box 38314
Olmsted Falls, OH 44138-0314
Internet: Genealogy Speakers Guild
- Greater Cleveland Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 40234
Cleveland, OH 44140-0254
Internet: The Greater Cleveland Genealogical Society
- Ohio Genealogical Society
713 S. Main ST.
Mansfield, OH 44907-1644
Internet: Ohio Genealogical Society
- Ohio Cemetery Preservation Society
P.O. Box 24810
Lyndhurst, OH 44124-0810
Internet: Ohio Cemetery Preservation Society
- Toledo Area Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 352258
Toledo OH 43635-2258
- Ohio Historical Society
1982 Velma Ave.
Columbus, OH 43211
Internet: Ohio Historical Society
- Western Reserve Historical Society
10825 E. Boulevard
Cleveland, OH 44106
Internet: Western Reserve Historical Society
Lineage societies, such as the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), Colonial Dames, General Society of Colonial Wars, the Sons of the American Revolution, and many others, require members to prove they are descended from certain people, such as colonists or soldiers. The applications for membership in these societies are preserved, and many are on microfilm at the Family History Library. See the Register of U. S. Lineage Societies (mentioned in the "Societies") for addresses, lists of microfilmed records, and publications.
One important society in Ohio is the Ohio Genealogical Society (see the "Archives and Libraries" page). The Ohio Genealogical Society has a number of chapters throughout the state. Many chapters actively extract and index original records, which the society publishes.
Family History Library Helps
- See the "Author/Title Search" of the Family History Library Catalog for many sources published by the Ohio Genealogical Society. There are, for example, birth, marriage, death and cemetery records; censuses (state and federal); newspaper obituaries; probates; city directories; adoption records; county assessors’ books; indexes to scrapbooks; and church records.
- For Ohio genealogical and historical societies which have records and services to help you with your research, see Ohio Archives and Libraries, Ohio Church Records, and Ohio Periodicals. Many counties also have local historical and genealogical societies. You can find local society addresses by using directories cited in the United States Societies.
- See also the "Archives and Libraries" section of this outline for other organizations with family history sources.
- Some societies generate unpublished indexes of local records, genealogies, cemetery transcriptions and other records. Some may publish lists of members, yearbooks, ancestor lists, or surname indexes which may be listed in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
[OHIO, [COUNTY] - SOCIETIES
OHIO, [COUNTY] - GENEALOGY