Oldham County, Texas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Oldham County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Oldham County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 21, 1876|
Oldham County Courthouse
PO Box 469
Vega, TX 79092-0469
County Clerk has birth records from 1917, death records
from 1918, marriage, divorce records from 1881, burial
and probate records from 1887, court records from 1911
and land records from 1878
The town of Tascosa was chosen as the county seat when Oldham County was organized in 1880. The county's first courthouse, a two story brick building, was built in 1884. In 1915, the county seat was moved to Vega and a second courthouse built. Although remodelled, the 1915 courthouse is in use today. The 1884 courthouse in Tascosa now serves as the Julian Bivins Museum.
1876--Oldham County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District, but was not organized until 1880. County seat: Vega 
Places / Localities
Adrian | Boise | Boys Ranch | Tascosa | Vega | Wildorado
- Boothill Cemetery from Cemeteries-of-tx.com
- Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Cemetery ~ findagrave
- Memorial Park Cemetery ~ findagrave
- Palo Duro Wildorado ~ findagrave
- Romero Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives
- St. Stephens Episcopal Cemetery ~ findagrave
- Tascosa Cemetery ~ findagrave
- Wimberly Cemetery ~ findagrave
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
- Texas Land Grant Search Texas General Land Office
- Original Land Owners of Oldham County USGenWeb Archives
- Oldham County, 1981, by the Oldham County Historical Commission.
- Maverick Town: The Story of Old Tascosa, 1946; enlarged ed. 1968, by John L. McCarty.
- Oldham County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Texas Historic Sites Atlas Texas Historic Commission
- Portal To Texas History
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Index to Military Roles for the Republic of Texas ~ TSHA
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
- 1890 Veterans Schedule ~ TXGenWeb
- Oldham County Military Oldham County TXGenWeb
- Confederate Military Pension Applications USGenWeb Archives
- Oldham County WW 1 Draft Applicants USGenWeb Archives
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Oldham County Obituaries ~ TXGenWeb
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Oldham County Public Library
Vega, TX 79092
Phone: (806) 267-2635
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
- Oldham County Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Oldham County TXGenWeb site
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Oldham County, Texas. Page 671 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).