Oldham St Mary, Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
(pr search box)
(48 intermediate revisions by 11 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
+
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]] [[Lancashire Parishes]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]][[Oldham_St_Mary,_Lancashire|Oldham St Mary]]  
  
[[Image:Oldham_St_Mary_.png|thumb|right|Oldham St Mary]]
+
Guide to '''Oldham St Mary, Lancashire family history and genealogy:''' chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
 +
{{Infobox England Jurisdictions
 +
| image = Oldham St Mary .png
 +
| caption =
 +
| Type = [[Ecclesiastical Parish ]]
 +
| County = Lancashire
 +
| Hundred = Salford
 +
| Poor Law Union = Oldham
 +
| Registration District = Oldham
 +
| PRbegin = 1796
 +
| BTbegin = 1604
 +
| Province = York
 +
| Diocese = Manchester
 +
| Archdeaconry =
 +
| Archdeaconries =
 +
| Rural Deanery = Rochdale
 +
| Parish =
 +
| Peculiar =
 +
| Chapelry =
 +
| Probate Court = Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
 +
| Archdeaconry Court =
 +
| Bishops Court =
 +
| Prerogative Court =
 +
| Archive = [[Lancashire Record Office]]
 +
}}
  
== Chapel History  ==
+
=== Chapel History  ===
  
Oldham [St Mary] is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Lancashire, created in 1746 from chapelry in [[Prestwich St Mary, Lancashire]] Ancient Parish.  
+
OLDHAM, an enfranchised borough, a '''parochial chapelry''' with several attached chapelries, and the head of a union, in the parish of [[Prestwich St Mary, Lancashire|Prestwich]], hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles northeast by east of Manchester. The ancient chapel was dedicated to St. Mary. Other towns and places in the parish include: Oldham below Town, Westwood, Mumps, Greenacres, Oldham above Town, Clarkesfield, Chadderton, and Moor. There were places of worship for '''Baptists''', the '''Society of Friends''', '''Independents''', '''Kilhamites''', '''Moravians''', '''Primitive''' and '''Wesleyan Methodists''', '''Unitarians''', and '''Roman Catholics'''.<ref>Samuel A. Lewis, ''[http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51192#s26 A Topographical Dictionary of England]''(1848), pp. 472-476. Date accessed 22 October 2013 </ref>
  
Other places in the parish include: Oldham below Town, Westwood, Mumps, Greenacres, Oldham above Town, Clarkesfield, Chadderton, and Moor. <br><br>
+
While Oldham St Mary was a mere chapelry, however it was a parochial chapelry and as such it held some ecclesiastical jurisdiction over several additional chapelries. These churches included:
  
OLDHAM, an enfranchised borough, a parochial chapelry, and the head of a union, in the parish of Prestwich, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles (N. E. by E.) from Manchester; containing 60,447 inhabitants, of whom 42,592 are in the township of Oldham. This place, the name of which appears to indicate some degree of antiquity, has within the last seventy years much increased in importance, from the rapid progress of its manufactures, for which it is indebted to its vicinity to Manchester, and to the mines of excellent coal in the neighbourhood. The town is situated on elevated ground, near the source of the river Irk, and is bounded on the east by a branch of the Medlock; the houses are irregularly built, but since the extension of its manufactures, the place has been very much enlarged, and has undergone considerable improvement. It was first lighted with gas in 1827, by a company who also supply the town with water, and whose capital, originally £48,000, was increased in 1838 to £72,000. The gasworks, at the bottom of Greaves-street, were built at a cost of £20,000, including the laying down of the mains; the water is supplied by iron pipes, from a reservoir covering about twelve acres of ground, in Strines-dale, about two miles and a half eastward, partly in Lancashire and partly in Yorkshire, the whole constructed at an expense of £28,000. The affairs of the town are regulated by commissioners appointed under a police act obtained in 1827, which also provided for the building of a town-hall and other offices. The buildings on the terrace, erected by private enterprise in 1836, contain a public room and a room intended for a market; and there are a subscription library, founded in 1807; a lyceum, in 1839; and a mechanics' institution.
+
*{{FHL|588870|title-id|disp=Oldham St Peter's Chapel}} -&nbsp;1765
 +
*{{FHL|588887|title-id|disp=Oldham St James}} - 1829
 +
*{{FHL|430309|title-id|disp=Hollinwood}} - 1769
 +
*{{FHL|367523|title-id|disp=Royton}} -&nbsp;1758
 +
*{{FHL|367523|title-id|disp=Shaw}}&nbsp;-&nbsp;1723
 +
*{{FHL|588797|title-id|disp=Chadderton St John}} - 1844&nbsp;  
 +
*{{FHL|837128|title-id|disp=Chadderton St Matthew}} - 1857
 +
*{{FHL|367527|title-id|disp=Coldhurst}} - 1844
 +
*{{FHL|1147700|title-id|disp=East Crompton}} -&nbsp;1847
 +
*{{FHL|1145692|title-id|disp=Glodwick Christ Church}} - 1844
 +
*{{FHL|588938|title-id|disp=Waterhead}} - 1845
 +
*{{FHL|430318|title-id|disp=Werneth}} - 1847&nbsp;
  
Oldham was for a long period celebrated for the manufacture of hats, which was established so early as the fifteenth century, and is still carried on to a small extent. The principal manufactures now are, those of fustians, velveteens, cotton and woollen corduroys, and the spinning of cotton, the last being the most considerable. In 1785 the number of cotton-mills was six; in 1815 the number was 47; in 1839 it had increased to 94, and it is at present much greater: they are all worked by steam. A great quantity of the coal which is obtained in the neighbourhood is sent to Manchester, and the collieries, being exceedingly productive, afford occupation to a large part of the population. The number of steam-engines employed within the borough, in cotton spinning and weaving, machine-making, ironfounding, bleaching, and logwood-grinding, in the year 1846, was 179; in raising coal, 58; and in grinding corn, 1; making a total of 238 steam-engines, of 5695horse power. The trade at the western extremity of the town is much facilitated by the Oldham canal, constructed in pursuance of an act obtained in 1792; it commences at Hollinwood, and forms a direct communication with Manchester, Ashton-under-Lyne, and Stockport. The Rochdale canal passes through the township of Chadderton. There is a branch to the Manchester and Leeds railway, from Oldham; and in 1846 an act was passed for making a branch, 4¼ miles long, to the Manchester and Huddersfield railway: an extension of the former branch, from the west part of the town to Mumps, or Greenacres moor, on the east, was opened November 1, 1847. A market for provisions is held on Saturday; and fairs take place on the first Thursday after Old Candlemas-day, on May 2nd, July 8th, and the first Wednesday after October 12th, for horses, cattle, sheep, and pedlery. By the act 2nd William IV., cap. 45, Oldham was constituted a borough, with the privilege of returning two members to parliament. The right of voting is in the £10 householders of the townships of Oldham, Chadderton, Crompton, and Royton; the returning officer is appointed by the sheriff. William Cobbett, the celebrated political writer, was one of the members first returned for the borough. Petty-sessions are held every Monday and Thursday; and there is a county court for the recovery of debts, established in 1847, with jurisdiction over part of the parishes of Prestwich-cum-Oldham and Middleton. The chapelry is co-extensive with the borough, and comprises 11,138 acres, of which the arable land is scarcely a fifth of that in pasture. Among the mansions are, Werneth, Chadderton, Royton, and Foxdenton Halls. John Frederick Lees, and George Lees, Esqrs., are the lords of the manor. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the rector of Prestwich; net income, £234. The tithes of Oldham township have been commuted for £170. The ancient chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, and enlarged in 1476 by "Sir Ralph Langley, priest of Prestwich" and third warden of Manchester College, was taken down and rebuilt in 1833, at a cost of £22,000. The present chapel is an elegant structure in the early English style, with a square tower having twelve noble bells: the eastern window is richly stained, with figures representing the Four Evangelists and four minor Prophets; and the interior generally is particularly chaste. St. Peter's chapel was erected by subscription in 1765, and enlarged in 1804, and is now a district church: the living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150, and in the patronage of the Rector. The district church dedicated to St. James was built in 1829, by the parliamentary commissioners, at an expense of £8905, and is a neat edifice in the later English style, with a tower and campanile turret: the living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; also in the gift of the Rector. In 1835, the three ecclesiastical districts of Hollinwood, Royton, and Shaw, were formed out of the chapelry; and at the close of 1844, seven other districts were formed, viz. Chadderton St. John, Chadderton St. Matthew, Coldhurst, East Crompton, Glodwick, Waterhead, and Werneth, under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Kilhamites, Moravians, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, Unitarians, and Roman Catholics. The free grammar school was founded in 1611, by James Assheton, Esq., of Chadderton Hall, who endowed it with an acre of land in the town, which has been let for building, and produces about £50 per annum. In 1747, Samuel Scholes gave £16 per annum, for which children of the township of Oldham are instructed. Thomas Henshaw, Esq., a native of the town, by will dated the 14th November, 1807, bequeathed £20,000 for the endowment of a Blue-coat school at Oldham, and a like sum for an asylum for the blind at Manchester; and having subsequently added a codicil, by which he gave the further sum of £20,000 for the endowment of the school, with liberty to his trustees to establish it either at Oldham or Manchester, on condition that the inhabitants of the town chosen provided a site and suitable buildings for the institution, the trustees determined upon founding the school here. In consequence of delay, the three sums thus left accumulated to nearly £100,000. At length three acres of land being given for the purpose by R. Radcliffe, and Joseph Jones, Esqrs., the first stone of an edifice for the school was laid at Oldham-Edge, in April, 1829; and the school was opened on the 25th June, 1834, with 50 boys, which number was increased in 1846 to 130. The building is handsome, commodious, and substantial; is built of stone, in the early English style, with two wings; and cost £9000, which were raised by subscription in the township of Oldham. There are a head master and two ushers: the boys are admitted at nine years of age, and remain till they are fourteen, when they are apprenticed to trades. To all the churches in the chapelry are attached national schools; that in connexion with St. Mary's is a stone building, erected at a cost of £3000, in 1842. Three benevolent relieving societies are maintained; and a savings' bank has been established, the depositors in which, in 1845, amounted to 763, and the sum deposited to £17,374. The poor-law union of Oldham comprises eight townships in the parishes of Prestwich and Middleton, containing a population of 72,058. Hugh Oldham, Bishop of Exeter, was a native of the town.  
+
There were additional, more modern built chapels within Oldham as well. See John Marius Wilson, ''Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales,'' to determine their names.<ref>John M. Wilson, ''[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/index.jsp Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales]''. Published Edinburgh 1870.</ref>
 +
=== Resources  ===
  
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 472-476. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51192 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
+
==== Civil Registration  ====
  
Oldham [St Mary] is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Lancashire, created in 1746 from chapelry in [[Prestwich St Mary, Lancashire]] Ancient Parish.  
+
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
  
Other places in the parish include: Oldham below Town, Westwood, Mumps, Greenacres, Oldham above Town, Clarkesfield, Chadderton, and Moor. <br><br>
+
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>  
  
== Resources ==
+
==== Church records ====
  
==== Civil Registration ====
+
===== '''Online Records''' =====
  
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].
+
'''<u>Church of England</u>'''
  
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>
+
Oldham St Mary chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of [[Prestwich St Mary, Lancashire|Prestwich]] to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
  
==== Church records ====
+
{| width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1"
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FS =&nbsp;'''[http://familysearch.org <font color="#800080">FamilySearch.org</font>]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''LOPC&nbsp;'''=&nbsp;[http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/indexp.html <font color="#800080">Lancashire Online Parish&nbsp;Clerk project</font>]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FMP'''&nbsp;=&nbsp;[http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-united-kingdom-records-in-birth-marriage-death-and-parish-records?_ga=1.15400819.439752968.1397327276 <font color="#0066cc">FindMyPast.co.uk</font>]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''LBMD''' =&nbsp;[http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk <font color="#800080">LancashireBMD.org.uk</font>]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''AC '''= [http://search.ancestry.co.uk <font color="#800080">Ancestry.co.uk</font>]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FREG =&nbsp;'''[http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl <font color="#800080">FreeReg</font>]
 +
|}
  
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
+
<br>
  
==== Census records ====
+
{| width="625" border="1" align="center" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1"
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspan="4" | '''OLDHAM ST MARY Chapelry&nbsp; (1558) Indexes'''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | <u>'''Baptisms'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | <u>'''Marriages'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <u>'''Burials'''</u>
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''AC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2959 '''1558-1812''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2959 '''1558-1812''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2959 '''1558-1812''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''AC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2960 '''1813-1858''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" |
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FS'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | '''[http://familysearch.org 1558-1896]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | '''[http://familysearch.org 1558-1816]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://familysearch.org '''1779-1798''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LOPC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Oldham/Oldham/stmary/index.html '''1766-1850, 1866-1872''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Oldham/Oldham/stmary/index.html '''1744-1843''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Oldham/Oldham/stmary/index.html '''1726-1748''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LBMD'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi?county=lancashire '''1961-1974''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi?county=lancashire '''1837-1974''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" |
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FMP'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | [http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-united-kingdom-records-in-birth-marriage-death-and-parish-records?_ga=1.15400819.439752968.1397327276 '''1598-1818''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-united-kingdom-records-in-birth-marriage-death-and-parish-records?_ga=1.15400819.439752968.1397327276 '''1558-1932''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspan="6" | '''[[Prestwich St Mary, Lancashire|PRESTWICH ST MARY]]&nbsp;'''''(ancient parish containing OLDHAM&nbsp;ST&nbsp;MARY&nbsp;Chapelry)''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | <u>'''Baptisms'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | <u>'''Marriages'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <u>'''Burials'''</u>
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FS'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | [http://familysearch.org '''1603-1910''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | [http://familysearch.org '''1600-1935''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://familysearch.org '''1712-1921''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LOPC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Prestwich/index.html '''1603-1936''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Prestwich/index.html '''1603-1895''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Prestwich/index.html '''1603-1921''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LBMD'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi?county=lancashire '''1837-1902''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi?county=lancashire '''1837-1925''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/deathind.cgi?county=lancashire '''1837-1877''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FMP'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | [http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-united-kingdom-records-in-birth-marriage-death-and-parish-records?_ga=1.15400819.439752968.1397327276 '''1603-1712''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''AC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffcccc" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 '''1603-1711''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffcc" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 '''1603-1711''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 '''1603-1711''']
 +
|}
  
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.  
+
<br>
 +
 
 +
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Oldham St Mary and comprising the whole ancient parish of Prestwich to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the [[Prestwich St Mary, Lancashire|PRESTWICH&nbsp;ST&nbsp;MARY]]&nbsp;PARISH page.
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
Parish registers for St Mary's Church (Oldham, Lancashire), 1558-1968 Microreproduction of original records housed at the Central Library, Oldham.<br>St. Mary's is the parish church of Oldham.<br>Includes some records for the chapelries of Shaw and Royton.<br>Manchester Archives Central Library call nos.: L 73/2/10-22, L 73/3/1, L 73/4/1-2; L 185/DRO2-6, 14.<br>
  
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census<br>
+
{| border="1" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" style="width: 607px; height: 2300px"
 +
|-
 +
| Content<br>
 +
| Film<br>
 +
|-
 +
| Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1660-1725 (registers in very poor condition) <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656073 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, 1744-1809 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656117 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, 1809-1828 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656118 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, 1828-1837 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656119 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, 1837-1843 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656120 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, 1843-1848 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656121 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, 1848-1854 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656156 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, 1854-1861 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656157 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, 1861-1873 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656158 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, 1873-1882. Item 4 is a duplicate of item 3, both ending with February, 1882 marriages. <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656159 Items 1 - 4 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, 1884-1903 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656160 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Baptisms, 1726-1812; Baptisms for Shaw, 1747-1767; Baptisms for Royton, 1757-1758. <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656161 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Baptisms, 1813-1838 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656162 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Baptisms, 1822-1838, including some from St. James' Church, 1834-1836 (another filming). Marriages, 1816-1831 (another filming). <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>2148002 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Baptisms, 1838-1866 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656163 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Baptisms, 1866-1881 <br>  
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656223 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Baptisms, 1881-1894 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656224 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Baptisms, 1894-1902; Burials, 1726-1812; Burials for Shaw, 1748-1770; Burials for Royton, 1758; Burials for St. Peter's, 1768-1770. <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656225 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Burials, 1813-1833 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656226 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Burials, 1833-1848 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656227 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Burials, 1848-1932 (very few burials after 1855); Baptisms and burials, 1558-1611; Marriages, 1598-1611, 1633-1634; Baptisms, 1624-1631; Burials, 1623-1631; Marriages, 1627-1631 (these last 3 in very poor condition); Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1633-1660; Baptisms for Shaw chapelry, 1653-1660. <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656228 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, 1903-1920 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656521 Items 4-5 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Marriages, 1920-1930 <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>1656522 Item 1 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Banns of marriages, 1827-1874. <br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>2358253 <br>
 +
|-
 +
| Banns of marriages, 1787-1818 (includes marriage licenses, 1789-1802), 1874-1921.<br>
 +
| FHL BRITISH Film <br>2358254 <br>
 +
|}
  
 
<br>
 
<br>
  
==== Poor Law Unions ====
+
==== Census records  ====
 +
 
 +
{{British Census|306930}}
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
==== Poor Law Unions ====
 +
 
 +
[[Oldham Poor Law Union]]
  
 
==== Probate records<br>  ====
 
==== Probate records<br>  ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 +
 +
==== Taxation  ====
 +
 +
*'''1541''' - {{FSbook|983467|disp=1541 Subsidy of Oldom}} (p. 145)<ref name="ear">J.P. Earwaker, ''Three Lancashire Subsidy Rolls, viz., for the Hundred of Salford, 1541, the Hundred of Salford, 1622 and the Hundred of Leyland, 1628, Together with a Recusant Roll for the Hundred of Leyland, in 1628'' (London: Record Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, 1885). Digital version at {{FSbook|983467}} - free.</ref>
 +
 +
*'''1622''' - {{FSbook|983467|disp=1622 Subsidy of Ouldhame}} (p. 157)<ref name="ear" />
  
 
== Maps and Gazetteers<br>  ==
 
== Maps and Gazetteers<br>  ==
Line 52: Line 272:
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
 
*[http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/index.jsp Vision of Britain]
  
== Web sites ==
+
== Websites ==
  
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
+
{{expand section|any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.}}
  
 
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53007 British History Online Oldham<br>  
 
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53007 British History Online Oldham<br>  
  
<br>
+
== References ==
 +
 
 +
{{Reflist}} {{Lancashire}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 21:48, 27 August 2014

England go to Lancashire go to Lancashire Parishes go toOldham St Mary

Guide to Oldham St Mary, Lancashire family history and genealogy: chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Oldham St Mary, Lancashire
Oldham St Mary .png
Type Ecclesiastical Parish
Civil Jurisdictions
Hundred Salford
County Lancashire
Poor Law Union Oldham PLU
Registration District Oldham
Records begin
Parish registers: 1796
Bishop's Transcripts: 1604
Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions
Rural Deanery Rochdale
Diocese Manchester
Province York
Legal Jurisdictions
Probate Court Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
Location of Archive
Lancashire Record Office

Contents

Chapel History

OLDHAM, an enfranchised borough, a parochial chapelry with several attached chapelries, and the head of a union, in the parish of Prestwich, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles northeast by east of Manchester. The ancient chapel was dedicated to St. Mary. Other towns and places in the parish include: Oldham below Town, Westwood, Mumps, Greenacres, Oldham above Town, Clarkesfield, Chadderton, and Moor. There were places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Kilhamites, Moravians, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, Unitarians, and Roman Catholics.[1]

While Oldham St Mary was a mere chapelry, however it was a parochial chapelry and as such it held some ecclesiastical jurisdiction over several additional chapelries. These churches included:

There were additional, more modern built chapels within Oldham as well. See John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, to determine their names.[2]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records

Online Records

Church of England

Oldham St Mary chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Prestwich to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:

FS = FamilySearch.org
LOPC Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project
FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk
LBMDLancashireBMD.org.uk
AC = Ancestry.co.uk
FREG = FreeReg


OLDHAM ST MARY Chapelry  (1558) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
AC 1558-1812 1558-1812 1558-1812
AC 1813-1858
FS 1558-1896 1558-1816 1779-1798
LOPC 1766-1850, 1866-1872 1744-1843 1726-1748
LBMD 1961-1974 1837-1974
FMP 1598-1818 1558-1932
PRESTWICH ST MARY (ancient parish containing OLDHAM ST MARY Chapelry)
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1603-1910 1600-1935 1712-1921
LOPC 1603-1936 1603-1895 1603-1921
LBMD 1837-1902 1837-1925 1837-1877
FMP None 1603-1712 None
AC 1603-1711 1603-1711 1603-1711


For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Oldham St Mary and comprising the whole ancient parish of Prestwich to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the PRESTWICH ST MARY PARISH page.


Parish registers for St Mary's Church (Oldham, Lancashire), 1558-1968 Microreproduction of original records housed at the Central Library, Oldham.
St. Mary's is the parish church of Oldham.
Includes some records for the chapelries of Shaw and Royton.
Manchester Archives Central Library call nos.: L 73/2/10-22, L 73/3/1, L 73/4/1-2; L 185/DRO2-6, 14.

Content
Film
Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1660-1725 (registers in very poor condition)
FHL BRITISH Film
1656073
Marriages, 1744-1809
FHL BRITISH Film
1656117
Marriages, 1809-1828
FHL BRITISH Film
1656118
Marriages, 1828-1837
FHL BRITISH Film
1656119
Marriages, 1837-1843
FHL BRITISH Film
1656120
Marriages, 1843-1848
FHL BRITISH Film
1656121
Marriages, 1848-1854
FHL BRITISH Film
1656156
Marriages, 1854-1861
FHL BRITISH Film
1656157
Marriages, 1861-1873
FHL BRITISH Film
1656158
Marriages, 1873-1882. Item 4 is a duplicate of item 3, both ending with February, 1882 marriages.
FHL BRITISH Film
1656159 Items 1 - 4
Marriages, 1884-1903
FHL BRITISH Film
1656160
Baptisms, 1726-1812; Baptisms for Shaw, 1747-1767; Baptisms for Royton, 1757-1758.
FHL BRITISH Film
1656161
Baptisms, 1813-1838
FHL BRITISH Film
1656162
Baptisms, 1822-1838, including some from St. James' Church, 1834-1836 (another filming). Marriages, 1816-1831 (another filming).
FHL BRITISH Film
2148002
Baptisms, 1838-1866
FHL BRITISH Film
1656163
Baptisms, 1866-1881
FHL BRITISH Film
1656223
Baptisms, 1881-1894
FHL BRITISH Film
1656224
Baptisms, 1894-1902; Burials, 1726-1812; Burials for Shaw, 1748-1770; Burials for Royton, 1758; Burials for St. Peter's, 1768-1770.
FHL BRITISH Film
1656225
Burials, 1813-1833
FHL BRITISH Film
1656226
Burials, 1833-1848
FHL BRITISH Film
1656227
Burials, 1848-1932 (very few burials after 1855); Baptisms and burials, 1558-1611; Marriages, 1598-1611, 1633-1634; Baptisms, 1624-1631; Burials, 1623-1631; Marriages, 1627-1631 (these last 3 in very poor condition); Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1633-1660; Baptisms for Shaw chapelry, 1653-1660.
FHL BRITISH Film
1656228
Marriages, 1903-1920
FHL BRITISH Film
1656521 Items 4-5
Marriages, 1920-1930
FHL BRITISH Film
1656522 Item 1
Banns of marriages, 1827-1874.
FHL BRITISH Film
2358253
Banns of marriages, 1787-1818 (includes marriage licenses, 1789-1802), 1874-1921.
FHL BRITISH Film
2358254


Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306930.




Poor Law Unions

Oldham Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Taxation

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Websites

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53007 British History Online Oldham

References

  1. Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 472-476. Date accessed 22 October 2013
  2. John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales. Published Edinburgh 1870.
  3. 3.0 3.1 J.P. Earwaker, Three Lancashire Subsidy Rolls, viz., for the Hundred of Salford, 1541, the Hundred of Salford, 1622 and the Hundred of Leyland, 1628, Together with a Recusant Roll for the Hundred of Leyland, in 1628 (London: Record Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, 1885). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.