Onslow County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This North Carolina-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
1752, 1786--Storms destroyed many records.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
"Tucker meticulously chronicled the history of coastal North Carolina and particularly Onslow County and the Swansboro area"--Foreword, v. 6:
- Littleton, Tucker Reed and Coastal Genealogical Society. The Tucker Littleton Notes. 10 vols. Swansboro, N.C.: Coastal Genealogical Society, 1998-2008. FHL Books 975.6 H29t v. 1 - 975.6 H29t v. 10
A county heritage book is available:
- Onslow County History Society. The Heritage of Onslow County, 1983. Winston-Salem, N.C.: Onslow County Historical Society in cooperation with Hunter Publishing Company, 1983. FHL Book 975.623 H2h
Compiled genealogies of several Onslow families were published in:
- Stroscio, Michael A. Some Onslow Families with Collateral Lines (Onslow County, North Carolina). 1976; reprint, Columbia, Md.: M.A. Stroscio, 1980. FHL Film 1033718 Item 8
- Stroscio, Michael A. Some Onslow Families with Collateral Lines - Andrews, Bishop, Burnett, Ennett, Fisher, Horne, King, Lane, Lloyd, Mason, McClammy, McDaniel, Redd, Sidbury, Stockley, Stroscio, Thompson, Triscuizzi, Walker (Onslow County, North Carolina). Raleigh, N.C.: M.A. Stroscio, 1999. FHL Book 929.273 Si13sm 1999; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Anderson] Wright, Carl V. The Doty/Andreson/Shepperd and Allied Families. Ganado, Texas: C.V. Wright, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 D742w
- [Barber] Fountain, Alvin M. Family of Micah & Elizabeth Barber Children and Grandchildren, Onslow County, North Carolina. Raleigh, N.C.: A.M. Fountain, 1975. FHL Film 928044 Item 30
- [Farr] Farr, Eugene. Farr and Near Farr: Descendants of Col. William Farr of Union County, South Carolina from 1735: (Allied Families: Alley, Bailey, Fowler, Garner, Glenn, Lipsey, Lowry, McDuff (McElduff), Stribling, Thomas and Many, Many Others). Chesterfield, Mo.: E. Farr, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 F24fe
- [Fountain] Fountain, Maxine Taylor, Marcia Taylor Fountain, and Alvin Marcus Fountain. The John R. Fountain Family of Onslow County, North Carolina: Being a Collection of Family Researches, Writings and References of Alvin Marcus Fountain and Some Sseventy Plus Other Members of the Family. Raleigh, N.C.: M.T. Fountain, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 F825f
- [Foyle] Magee, Zuma Fendlason and Aletha Barker Hamiter. Foyle (Foil) Genealogy. Franlinton, La.: Z.F. Magee, 1956. FHL Film 1008689 Item 4
- [King] Walton, June Roper. Kith and Kin of Willie Adam Walton and Ethel Mae King. Four Oaks, N.C.: J.R. Roper, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 W173wk
- [Middleton] Brown, Leslie H. "John Middleton of Hampton, Va., and Onslow County, N.C.," The American Genealogist, Vol. 55, No. 3 (Jul. 1979):161-162. FHL Book 973 D25aga v. 55
- [Morgan] Hinson, Emma Morgan. Morgan. N.C.: E.M. Hinson, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 M821hi
- [Powell] Andrea, Leonardo. Powell. MSS., Typescript, Polk County Historical Library, Bartow, Fla., 1962. 978080 Item 2
- [Prescott] Prescott, Fannie Lee, Adell Taylor Prescott and Clarence Ray Prescott. A Bicentennial Salute to the Descendants of Willoughby Prescott of Carteret County, North Carolina Born ca. 1750, Died 1829. Greenville, N.C.: A.T. Prescott, 1980. FHL Book 929.273 P925p
- [Redd] Bryner, Ellen Redd and John Hardison Redd. Biography of Lemuel Hardison Redd. MSS. Microfilmed 1974. FHL Book 921.73 A1 no. 47 [LDS]
- [Reed] Phillips, Opal B. and Carrie B. Hart. George Reed Family. Typescript. Microfilmed 1986. Family Records Collection, Barrett Memorial Library, Petersburg, Ind. FHL Film 1451834
- [Snead] Butler, Florence Roberta Walker. The Sneads of Accomack County Virginia, Craven, Onslow and Johnston Counties, North Carolina and Allied Families. n.p.: R.W. Butler, 2008. FHL Book
- [Walton] Walton, June Roper. Kith and Kin of Willie Adam Walton and Ethel Mae King. Four Oaks, N.C.: J.R. Roper, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 W173wk
- [Williams] Maready, Kellon. John Williams (1745-1792), Onslow County, NC: Descendants of His Sons Hopkins Williams, (1790-1866), Stephen Decatur Williams (1775-1862), Duplin County, NC. Chinquapin, N.C.: A.K. Maready, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 W673ma
Societies and Libraries
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).