Openshaw, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
Line 5: Line 5:
 
== Chapel History  ==
 
== Chapel History  ==
  
Openshaw St Barnabas is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1840 from [[Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys, Lancashire]] Ancient Parish.  
+
Openshaw St Barnabas was createda district chapel in 1839 from, and lying within the boundaries of [[Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys, Lancashire|Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys]] ancient parish.
  
Other places in the parish include: Bradford. <br>  
+
Its name derives from the Old English Opinschawe, which means an open wood or coppice. Since 1890 it has been incorporated into the City of Manchester.
 +
<br>
 +
St Barnabas church South Street, Openshaw was replaced by the smaller current church in the late 1960's.<br><br>  
  
Its name derives from the Old English Opinschawe, which means an open wood or coppice. Since 1890 it has been incorporated into the City of Manchester.<br>
+
"OPENSHAW, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Manchester, union of Chorlton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Manchester, on the road to Ashton-under-Lyne; comprising the townships of Beswick, Bradford, and Openshaw; and containing 3536 inhabitants; of whom 2280 are in Openshaw township. The area of Openshaw is about 500 Lancashire acres. Here is an excellent clay for fire and other bricks, and the lands have a coal substratum. The extensive dye-works of Messrs. George Whyatt and Sons employ 250 hands; there are a cottonmill, and a small bleaching concern. The Sheffield and Manchester railway and the Stockport canal run through the township. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Trustees; net income, £175, with a house. The church, dedicated to St. Barnabas, was erected in 1839, at a cost of £4500; and is in the early English style, with a square tower and a spire. The Wesleyans and the New Connexion of Methodists have places of worship. Some Church schools here are endowed with £30 per annum, the rent of five houses left by John Neden, in 1845."
  
Formr St Barnabas church South Street, Openshaw was replaced by the smaller current church in the late 1960's.<br><br>
+
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 476-479. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51193 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
 
+
OPENSHAW, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Manchester, union of Chorlton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Manchester, on the road to Ashton-under-Lyne; comprising the townships of Beswick, Bradford, and Openshaw; and containing 3536 inhabitants; of whom 2280 are in Openshaw township. The area of Openshaw is about 500 Lancashire acres. Here is an excellent clay for fire and other bricks, and the lands have a coal substratum. The extensive dye-works of Messrs. George Whyatt and Sons employ 250 hands; there are a cottonmill, and a small bleaching concern. The Sheffield and Manchester railway and the Stockport canal run through the township. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Trustees; net income, £175, with a house. The church, dedicated to St. Barnabas, was erected in 1839, at a cost of £4500; and is in the early English style, with a square tower and a spire. The Wesleyans and the New Connexion of Methodists have places of worship. Some Church schools here are endowed with £30 per annum, the rent of five houses left by John Neden, in 1845.
+
 
+
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 476-479. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51193 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.  
+
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 15:56, 18 March 2011

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Openshaw St Barnabas contributor Bill Boaden

Contents

Chapel History

Openshaw St Barnabas was createda district chapel in 1839 from, and lying within the boundaries of Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys ancient parish.

Its name derives from the Old English Opinschawe, which means an open wood or coppice. Since 1890 it has been incorporated into the City of Manchester.
St Barnabas church South Street, Openshaw was replaced by the smaller current church in the late 1960's.

"OPENSHAW, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Manchester, union of Chorlton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Manchester, on the road to Ashton-under-Lyne; comprising the townships of Beswick, Bradford, and Openshaw; and containing 3536 inhabitants; of whom 2280 are in Openshaw township. The area of Openshaw is about 500 Lancashire acres. Here is an excellent clay for fire and other bricks, and the lands have a coal substratum. The extensive dye-works of Messrs. George Whyatt and Sons employ 250 hands; there are a cottonmill, and a small bleaching concern. The Sheffield and Manchester railway and the Stockport canal run through the township. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Trustees; net income, £175, with a house. The church, dedicated to St. Barnabas, was erected in 1839, at a cost of £4500; and is in the early English style, with a square tower and a spire. The Wesleyans and the New Connexion of Methodists have places of worship. Some Church schools here are endowed with £30 per annum, the rent of five houses left by John Neden, in 1845."

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 476-479. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51193 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Chorlton Poor Law Union,Lancashire


Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.