Orange County, Vermont GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Orange County Courthouse
5 Court Street, PO Box 95
Chelsea, VT 05038
Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death, burial
and land records, County Clerk has divorce and court
records from 1781 and land records from 1771;
Probate Judge has probate records from 1771
Towns Organized Before 1800:
West Fairlee 1779,
- Created 22 February 1781 from the Colonial Lands. 
- 18 October 1785, Addison County set off.
- 5 November 1792, Caledonia, Essex and Orleans Counties set off.
- 1 November 1810, part of Jefferson County set off (renamed Washington County 8 November 1814.)
- 26 October 1835, Lamoille County set off.
Places / Localities
- Wells River
A transcript of the 1771 census of Gloucester County, New York survives:
Orange County Probate Districts
- Randolph District - Braintree, Brookfield, Chelsea, Orange, Randolph, Tunbridge, Washington and Williamstown.
- Bradford District - Bradford, Corinth, Fairlee, Newbury, Strafford, Thetford, Topsham, Vershire and West Fairlee.
- Orange District - in 1994 the Randolph and Bradford Districts merged under the Orange District.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Orange County
- The Orange County VTGenWeb Project, an member of The VTGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Orange County
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Orange County, Vermont. Page 699 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Harry Macy, "Newtown Census of 1771," The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Vol. 117, No. 1 (Jan. 1986):8. Digital version at New York Family History ($); FHL Book 974.7 B2n v. 117. The original census records were destroyed in a 1911 fire at the New York State Library.