Oregon, Tillamook County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Oregon, Tillamook County Records, 1854-1967 .
This Collection will include records from 1855-1967
This collection contains images of Tillamook County records including marriages and land and property records.
Land records generally include the following information:
- Names of interested individuals
- Date of transaction
- Monies exchanged
- Description of land
- Name of witnesses
Marriage records generally include the following information:
- Name and age of the groom
- Name and age of the bride
- Date and place of marriage
- Names of witnesses
- Name of the officiator
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the name and other identifying information such as the residence or age.
Search the Collection
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select "Record Category”
⇒ Select "Record Type, Volume, and Year Range" which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the age to calculate the birth date.
- Use the birth date or age along with the residence or place of birth of each partner to find a couple's birth records and parents' names.
- Use the birth date or age along with the residence or place of birth to find the family in census records.
- Use the residence and names to locate church and land records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- The name of the officiator may be a clue to their religion or area of residence in the county.
- The name of the undertaker, mortuary, or cemetery could lead you to funeral records which often include the names and residences of other family members.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- The information in the records is usually reliable, but depends upon the reliability of the informant.
- Earlier records may not contain as much information as more recent records.
- There is also some variation in the information given from one record to another record.
- Compiling the entries for every person who has the same surname is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual. It can also help you to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives. You may want to repeat this process for each new generation or surname that you identify.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Check for an index. There are often indexes created by local genealogical and historical societies.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Oregon, Tillamook items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Oregon Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this county see the wiki article Tillamook County, Oregon.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: Tillamook County Records, 1854-1967
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- “Oregon, Tillamook County Records, 1854-1967.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2014. Citing Tillamook County Recorder. Tillamook County Courthouse. Tillamook, Oregon.